Anyone Have Boarder Guard Issues When On The Niagara River?

zoomie

Used to be that if you didn't land in the US you could boat around in their waters all you wanted without reporting. Years ago we would boat all around Grand Island on a sunny day. Has anyone had issues with Border Guards on either side when floating around in the Niagara, upper or lower and crossing the line but not landing on US soil?

I'm not talking about fishing licenses, I know you need to call NY and get a license if you're going to fish there.

Here is some info from Canadian Boarder Services Agency.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/096-eng.html

• Not planning to "land" your vessel or did you leave Canadian waters but did not land on U.S. soil?
    • You still need to report to the CBSA. Certain private boaters may contact the CBSA by calling the TRC at 1-888-226-7277 from their cellular telephones upon arrival in Canadian waters. This includes:
      • Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have not landed on U.S. soil; and
      • U.S. citizens and permanent residents who do not plan on landing on Canadian soil.
    • Private boaters that are strictly weaving in and out of Canadian waters but are not in transit, are required to call the TRC only once at the time of their initial entry into Canadian waters. If this activity changes, i.e., the vessel docks in Canada or takes on new persons or goods while in foreign waters, the boaters must report to a CBSA designated marine reporting site and call the TRC to obtain clearance.
    • All other private boaters, including those without cellular telephones, must proceed to a CBSA designated marine telephone reporting site and place a call to the TRC to obtain CBSA clearance. This includes all vessels carrying individuals who are not Canadian or U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Archived