Trolling Motor Battery

DaveC

Whats a good battery to buy for a 38lb thrust trolling motor? I will only be using it for the only motor on the boat the trolling motor. So it will require re-charging after each use. Does anyone have any experience using the small solar panel chargers or is that a waste of time. This will be used on a paddle drift boat btw.

thanks!!

No the solars are no good for that,Get a battery charger from Canadian tire so you can give it 2amps overnight , but DO NOT buy their garbage batteries.Ihad better luck with the energizer from walmart if your looking to keep it low cost.

Ok, so I wont bother with one of those solar panels then. From what I have read you don't want an ordinary battery. I know I need a marine deep cycle, just wondering with a 38lb thrust trolling motor, what everyone else seems to prefer. What I have read is interstate, Optima rate well. I don't care about the cost, as long as Im not replacing it next season.

optimas are over priced,Interstate makes great truck/car batteries so im sure their deep cycles are well made & fair priced too.Also get a battery box or tray with strap that will keep it from bouncing around,i think that is what hurts them the most.I put in 3 new factory mercury batteries & at around $150 each I think they will do well.

Yupp..Interstate does make good Marine/Deep Cycle batteries..but also on the higher end of the pay scale..probably comparable to price of the factory Mercury ones...you get what you pay for..

Make sure it's deep cycle .... The difference being deep cycles can withstand being recharged all the time opposed to a car battery with relies on the alternator to just keep the battery at full charge but if u continuously drain and charge a car battery it will begin to loose voltage over time due to internal cell plates become weak !

I got my deep cycle from Costco. Don't remember the specifics of it. As stated above, the solar chargers won't charge your battery, but I do keep one hooked up to it over winter, and between longer uses to help keep it topped up. That's about all they will do.

Thanks guys, I think i will go with the interstate deep cycle marine battery. They seem to get decent reviews as well. I agree about getting what you pay for..had many instances of that and learned my lesson.

I believe that the interstate brand in Canada is made by Johnson Controls, which make the costco brand also. My 2 class 27 batteries at Costco 89 bucks each. Merc batteries are made by Deka. I have heard some bad results from guys at work regarding the spiral optimas. If you want to spend the kids inheritance go AGM. The boat banging around will have no effect on them.

I did a whack of research last season before I picked the costco brand, I would have gone to a larger class if anything.

LT

I did a whack of research last season before I picked the costco brand, I would have gone to a larger class if anything.

Lund has it right,

Once you decide on the brand, get the largest one you can afford, and you're looking for amp/hours not cranking amps. Once you have your battery, you can calculate what size charger you need. If you plan to drain the battery on the lake in one day, then charge it up at night and use it again the next day, you should look at this calculation to get a charger that will charge your batter in the time you want.

http://www.electricaltechnology.org/2013/03/easy-charging-time-formula-for.html

If your charger is too small you may be sitting on the dock till noon on day two of your trip.

Archived