Theory About How Fish Fight

iHasFish

This is more in regards to trout, but I have noticed a large difference in behaviors and how a fish fights depending on where in the mouth it's hooked. My experience in this is moderate, but so far, it seems pretty evident.

I have noticed that when a trout gets hooked in the tongue or other soft part of the mouth that they don't fight very hard. They refuse to run (probably out of pain) and just thrash, trying to shake the hook from the sensitive skin. While on the other hand, when I've hooked them in the snout, corner of the mouth or jaw, they fight like crazy.

Its just a theory.

Any one else have this observation?

I'll have to keep and eye on this and get back to you..temperature is definitely a major factor. The two I got today were good fighters and within the last week and a half I've had a couple perform aerial shows.

I caught a 5lb walleye once and couple of Salmon on different occasion that made sounds like they were crying or begging for mercy to be release, I let them go right away. One of them seem to be crying in pain when I try to untangle the hook from its tongue.

I'll have to keep and eye on this and get back to you..temperature is definitely a major factor. The two I got today were good fighters and within the last week and a half I've had a couple perform aerial shows.

where were they hooked?

Archived