Fish Finder Problems

Flyfisher

I have a Lowrance Elite-4 Fish finder and I can't seem to get it to turn on. It worked fine last year but after storing my boat for the winter it wont turn on. I took the screen to a local dealer and he tried it on his cable and it worked fine. I checked my wires and fuse and all tested ok on a meter. Could I have a bad connector on my cable. Is there anyone in St.Catharines or nearby that can check it out for me

Thanks

Where are you located? If you get back to me by 2:00 I can come take a look. If not, I'm gone for the weekend.

First check that it's the only thing in your boat that doesn't have power. If nothing else has power, start at the battery. If everything else DOES have power, start at the fishfinder.

Do you have a volt meter? If not you can get one for about $30 at crappy tire. You're looking for 12V DC

If the rest of your boat has power:

-Follow the power cord back from the unit to where it is connected to for power. Probably under the console if you have one. Put the meter across the red and black wire and check for 12V. If there is no voltage, continue following the boat wiring back towards the battery and checking voltage at every point where there is a connection or terminal.

Eventually you will find a connection that has power on one side but not the other.

My boat is a little 14 foot aluminum with a tiller outboard. The fish finder is connected to the battery under the seat. I called Lowrance and they told me to try connecting the unit directly to the battery and see if that works. the only place I might have an issue is at the fuse holder or possible a bad transducer wire harness. Thanks for your advice FISHKID, Ill check it out on the weekend when I have more time.

Hopefully you got it going. If not, pm me and I can maybe help a bit more. Sounds like a pretty straight forward setup so as long as the battery is good, the only place it could be is the power wire or the ground wire. If you can, just take the fuse holder out of the equation to test it then put it back in. If it was a transducer wire issue you would still be able to turn the unit on and cycle through the display. You can turn it on even if the transducer is unplugged.

Yes it was the fuse holder. It was damp so I dried it out and redid the connections with new crimps and all is good so far. Now I need to figure out how to use the GPS mapping on it. The manual is confusing so I will have to play with it a bit to get the hang of it. Thanks for the advice FISHKID

Archived