Binbrook Fun

The Ketchican Kid

Went out to Binbrook with my Papa in the kayaks and we had a blast, even though I forgot the fishfinder...whooops. Lots of small stuff appeared to be getting caught off of the shore, and there were lots of kids out fishing too which was great to see. We fished primarily around the island, the west wind made us some decent drifts, and we were somewhat able to key in on spots. We used dead minnows (they died on the way there ) on christmas tree rigs and jigs, fish seemed to still be out in the deeper water as we experienced little success in the bays with slip floats and tubes. Bonuses were a healthy (roughly 3 pound) OOS bass which was promptly released, and a channel catfish which surprised both of us. I would imagine that the warm week ahead will get the crappie moving even closer to spawning areas, but then again the water is still very cold. Great day out there!

I was out with a buddy on the 20th. water in 4 different spots was 18C. tons of breaches out in deeper water and also very few caught in tight to shore. Tom caught a cat on a flicker shad of all things water was double double. If I end up going back this Tuesday will update.

Larry I'd prefer a couple degrees warmer, the males should be sweeping the nests by now, females will be holding to deeper structure/cover, however the water was the dirtiest ive ever seen it. we did not have live bait or scent to add to the artificials.....it was a tough bite.

Try black n chartreuse in muddy water,It's working here same water clarity.I've been getting them as shallow as 6inches in grass.Seen a few BRUTES too.Shallow water warms faster and mix in some grass and the food chain starts up.Believe 65'f is the magic spawning temp.65 or 68,I can't remember but it's one of the 2 lol

Archived