Shore Fishing Spots On Niagara

archman

Guys, we are camping the weekend of June 13 at Branches of Niagara in Grand Island (I think that's what it's called). First, is this a pretty nice campground? It seemed cool on the website, but who's doesn't?

I have a 3 and 5 year old with me who like to fish. I'd love to get them into some Niagara smallies or whatever will hit. I plan on going down into the Gorge myself, but would like to find much easier access for them. I am familiar with the lower, as I have taken my kayak there many times. I just don't know that many good shore spots. I see guys fishing up on the Coast Guard station, but I also see no fishing signs so I don't know how they get up there.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

You would be on the upper Niagara where your staying. As for shore spots I have seen a few people fiahing the banks down there while drifting the river for bass.

I see a marina with a peer at the end of whitehaven road that I would be temped to try. If you are going near the niagara river make sure at lease the kids have lifejackets on. It looks like calm water but it is a very fast current.

Beaver Island State park has some fishing opportunities and it is on Grand Island. It also looks as if the park has a pond/lake there! At the end of Whitehaven road there is a marina and Spicer Creek. When the creek clears up a bit, there is okay fishing there, and the river is real close either way you go down Whitehaven...anywhere you can get a public spot is good. There is a place under the bridge on East River Rd that looks good. I have seen guys fishing there, but haven't done so myself. Deep water with current, perfect smallie area.

Our family has stayed here a few times with friends. We have always had a good time. Very clean facilities(washrooms/showers). There are some bass in the on site pond but they were somewhat elusive in early Sept when we were there.

Bass fishing is by far better in the Upper, but that's not to say there are none to be had in the Lower. The upper is easier to navigate and has better areas for large and smallmouth bass. You will also get a better average size and more fish in the Upper. The Lower yields far better catches in the fall along Fort Niagara/Coast Guard Drift and the flats in the lake.

Grand Island has some great canals and creeks (pretty dirty right now) as well as Tonawanda. Small Boat Harbor in Buffalo is about 15-20 minutes from the resort and will provide cover and calmer waters, but still provide a great day of kayak fishing for large and smallmouth bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys I will check some of these out. Big Dogg you are right the campground does have a pond. But I would be a fool to fish that when the Niagara is right there!

Is the fishing for you or the kids. Lot safer in the pond with a 3 and 5 year old.

Wilson pier is on Lake Ontario side near Olcott NY. Better off fishing the Erie side...creek and tributary mouths on the Erie shoreline along lakeshore ave will all produce small mouth bass.

Archived