Unidentified Centerpin Reel

floatman

Heatmiser74 is right....thats a mooching reel for sure. Line guard is the give away. Bill what are you doing with your retirement going through peoples garbage...lol. Its an old one and might be difficult finding out much. I have an old Mitchell mooching reel that i used to use downrigging with a drag clutch....works great.

If there is a patent number on the reels floatman can look it up on the internet

but i'm not sure if the year is needed but i don't think so but if the is a patent number

it should tell him everything about the reels how old/ when it was made. /

How wide is the spool? You sure its not the kingpin c3 prototype? Im sure in any case its going to be top notch when you rebuild it.

Many British CP reels came with a cage. Even Milners could be ordered with them. If you BC or Wallis cast the cage doesn't get in the way.

The reel is not mine, just trying to offer some assistance to get an answer.

The spool is around an inch, judging by the photo.

Many British CP reels came with a cage.

Many fly reels came with a line guard (cage). The spring and pawl for the line check mechanism are identical to a couple of old JW Young fly reels I had many years ago.

When the check was disengaged the line could free spool much like modern centerpins.

Perhaps it's a vintage fly reel.

Many fly reels came with a line guard (cage). The spring and pawl for the line check mechanism are identical to a couple of old JW Young fly reels I had many years ago.

When the check was disengaged the line could free spool much like modern centerpins.

Perhaps it's a vintage fly reel.

Yes, my old JW young purist had the same pawl as well. I think that may be common to a few types of reels. Be interesting to see what you find out it to be. Could very well be a float reel like he says. Im sure the BC guys may know more on it.

That's very possible Ralph, but the fact that a patent had been applied for leads me to think more than one was made.

I have looked at every reel on the many sites I've been on and found nothing close. I never realized that many different reels had been made!

I sent them to John Milner in BC. He didn't recognize it either.

No hits on ORCA either

I too checked a bunch of british vintage reels sites....seen a few very close to it...but nothing identical. Was interesting looking at all the old reels and styles...the advances in time are amazing. 50 60 years from now wont even need a reel....the once enjoyed sport will be a thing of remembrances only.

Dave do you really think it will take the MNR 50 to 60 years to rid the great lakes of salmon and steelhead. I think once they stop the clubs from stocking , they might use netting or poisoning to rid the lakes of these non-native species and accomplish their goal very quickly. We will have to hope the Atlantic salmon fill the gap. Some of those old reels are interesting and some are just old.

Archived