Sup Fishing

iHasFish

Rented a paddle board tonight and I'm going to give it a shot in the morning as a fishing platform. They are getting pretty trendy right now and look to be a fantastic way to be on the water and a great tool to fish with. I gave it a test paddle this evening and all is good. I'll make a report when I return to let you know how it goes.

Wish me luck.

Are they nice an stable? I was looking at them myself and they do look like fun! Looking forward to your report best of luck!

OK, here's my report.

Pros:

great vantage point over the water

feels good to stand

good exercise

very quiet and stealthy when pulling up to a spot

they track well while paddling

very buoyant and easy to self rescue if you do fall in (I tested just to be safe)

cons:

depending on the model, they aren't the most stable platform. I wouldn't recommend to anyone that hasn't spent a lot of time on the water

gets blown all over in the slightest breeze

difficult to multi task-while fishing I could only make 2 or 3 casts then I'd have to put my pole down and grab the paddle to fix my position.

Your feet get friggin sore from balancing all day

you're wet all day, so it's not suitable for colder weather

unless you buy a plastic board, the foam ones are fragile and ding up easily when you bump into things

as for the fishing end, I went to the quarry in wainfleet and killed it. Crushed a bunch on top water frogs early then flipped mats and ledges with senkos for a few hours. Probably 15 fish in 10 hours with 2 big ones lost. The quarry is really really weedy already.

All in all, it was a great day and I got some great video.

Hey iHasFish , that was me and my brother you passed going under the bridge. We had success with frogs and senkos aswell !

After we were done with the blast we switched to panfishing for an hour. Some really huge bluegills swimming about !

spent all night editing the video. I love my gopro camera but it seems like all I ever get video of is casting and paddling, then the battery dies. I usually only end up getting a few fish on film. oh well, enjoy the video guys.

yes and no. Ive spent a lot of time on the water so I am pretty familiar with how to use your paddle to get to where you want to go. I think that is one of the biggest hurdles a new paddler has to deal with. I took my chick out on it the night before and she had no clue what the F she was doing... pretty funny to watch.

was out on one last night. amazing experience!

Awesome vid buddy !!! That quarry used to cough up alot of quality fish years ago ! Now ... There still big ones in there just gotta find em! But my buddy has a 8 lber on the wall from back in the early 90 s !!!

Nice video makes me wanna try it, but I can't swim and knowing my luck I would fall in, would be a blast on the pond during a calm day

Archived