New on this board

Guest Ken

Just "discovered" this board. I have been directed to here several times but always ended up in the wrong board??? But finally, I found out where Mobyclick is hiding LOL. Hey, you didn't tell me about that hit you got...condition looks good, maybe tomorrow? I may consider fishing the spot near your house tonight (on my own or maybe with Matt) if you wanna catch up on your sleep.

I see that Skein is here too. :worthy:

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

Wow! A warmer welcome than I thought LOL.

I'm from Mississauga, and I go to school at U of Waterloo. So I'm pretty much living in both cities half of the time. I'm in a co-op program and I could end up anywhere on my co-op job...like London Ontario.

I'll fish for anything that swims...from emeral shiners (#22 hooks with a small bit of worm...shiners were used for bass fishing after LOL), to salmon, to saltwater species when I get the chance (Been to Hawaii...I have relatives there...and Florida and Nevis Island where I got me a 15lb great barracuda!).

I fly fish, float fish, ice fish...use bait and lures pretty much equally, depending on the situation. The only thing that I haven't done much is trolling...cuz I have no boat to troll with LOL.

And as Mobydick can tell you, I'm pretty crazy about fishing. When I'm in school, my parents wouldn't let me have the car in Waterloo...cuz they know I'll spend all my time out fishing LOL. So my solution is to bike everywhere to fish...say a 45 min bike ride (one way) to St. Jacobs for a few smallmouths, or I meet people like Mobydick to take me out fishing :( LOL.

I'm famous for my extremely long and blabbling post...but if you read it all, you'll get some info from it eventually LOL...if you ever met me, as Moby will say "He'll talk your eyes off!" LOL. Yes, I'm a happy person...I use LOL a lot! LOL

As a side note, I was out with Mobydick on Friday night at a spot near his house. We were fishing for 3 hours from 11:00pm-2:00am. Moby got into a 4lb pike at 12:40am and I got into a 5lb walleye at 1:40am. Sorry I can't give details...it's Moby's spot...not mine...and he made me swear no to tell LOL.

At last, just like to share my mug shot and a few fishies that I've beaten over the years...

15lb Barracuda off Nevis Island (off St. Kitts) 2 years ago...

a8152bc7.jpg

Icing it...a nice 10" Simcoe perch...

8957c295.jpg

Reef fishing from shore in Hawaii...#20 hooks with shrimp...a nice size Sergent Major...

6b3cddd1.jpg

25lb chinook from Bowmanville floatfishing...

306e8079.jpg

Finess fishing at best...plastic twitchbait at Grand River...

Grand_River_17in_SMB_AUG_2004_1.jpg

At last, my artistic side...some salmon streamers that I tie (CJ, just ask, I can tie you a few for free...I owe you lots of gas money afterall LOL).

Salmon_Flies.jpg

Steelheader, I got that salmon about 100m from the dam in the first deep run. It may not look like it in the picture...but it was shoulder to shoulder that day. If you look closely, you can see lots of shadows in the water...we timed it right that day and there were 30-40 fish in each deep run/pool, and fish spawning all over the shallow runs...truly amazing!

BTW, any chance you're on the CRAA board also? And Floatboard?

Guest Steelheader
Steelheader, I got that salmon about 100m from the dam in the first deep run. It may not look like it in the picture...but it was shoulder to shoulder that day. If you look closely, you can see lots of shadows in the water...we timed it right that day and there were 30-40 fish in each deep run/pool, and fish spawning all over the shallow runs...truly amazing!

BTW, any chance you're on the CRAA board also? And Floatboard?

1766[/snapback]

Ah, below the Goodyear Dam. Yes, that's good fishing, but very crowded. I usually fished the northern portion of the river, between hwy 55 and taunton road. Very rough terrain and difficult access, but there's never anyone up there. Since they put in the fish ladder at the dam the numbers upstream have been even better. Still, it was very good fishing up there simply because nobody else hiked that far up.

You may be too young to remember, but there used to be a huge dam (over 20' high) with a millpond at the feed mill on Hwy.#2, about 1/2 km up from the Goodyear dam. During opening season in spring that millpond would be lined with guys shoulder to shoulder, and about 500m downstream from there. I caught a 14lb hen in that mayhem when I was 13 years old. I was such a rookie...I was using 8lb test and a 7' spinning rod with a green rubber egg. The guys there made fun of me and my "shark line", (until I caught that one ;)).

There were so many fish crammed in that stretch of river. Every spring MNR guys would net about 700 steelies in the millpond and carry them over the dam so they could spawn upstream.

Then one spring about 15 years ago we had a huge storm. The river overflowed and washed out the dam. The millpond was gone, and they never rebuilt. Shortly after that the law was implemented that you can't fish within a certain distance (10 or 15m?) of a man made obstacle to fish migration. Even if the dam had survived, it would no longer be legal to fish the millpond anyway.

You didn't ask for it, but there's some history on the Bowmanville creek for ya!

Thanks for the history! I guess it's good that the dam and pond is gone now (with all the snaggers and all?). As for the rookie setup, I still use it sometimes...especially when you don't have much room on small stream like that. And I stil run 8lb 'shark line' as my mainline..but now I put on a 6lb fluoro. If it make you feel any better, I use a 6'6" on my rookie setup...but I would rather put out my 12'6" for sure.

Archived