Any One Ever Caught Laker In Port C?

Fresh Fish

went Port C yesterday, fishing at outsider light house, hit a strong fish and pull to surface and lost.

I was thinking it was a sheep head first because it‘s very strong and big, but spots all over the fish body; so , could be a laker?......or, a shark~ :skunk::roflblack:

Erie has some great trout fishing, but you have to go offshore and find water below 50. Wish I could figure out why I cannot post links from photobucket or I'd show you some nice ones from out off Port C over the last few weeks. Won't paste links for some reason.

Kevin- Are you trolling the usual walleye setup , worm harnesses and stick baits or are you using a salmon setup with flashers and flies or spoons. You mention in your post getting offshore to 50 I presume you mean 50 degree water. how deep is that at this time of year.

Well I guess it depends on your usual walleye setup. I typically slow troll with harnesses for walleye, but when I run offshore I troll quicker and run a spoon setup. You will still get quite a few eyes as well.

And yes, you have to find the cool water. By late summer the thermocline can be as deep as 75 ft, where your surface temp of 71 drops to about 60. Then it just drops from there as you go down.

Since you were in the vicinity of a Muskie breeding ground it's not out of the ordinary to have caught one over there. There are several breeds of Muskie and one breed does have spots all over it.

Archived