Multi-Purpose Flies

ron4blues

We often see questions that start out with "what's the best fly for (insert species here)." But its been my experience that there are flies that will catch a variety of different species.

I've caught trout, pike, bass and carp on bugger patterns. Likewise with zonker patterns. I've caught perch, bass, trout and even (once) a brown bullhead on muddler minnows. And Atlantic salmon patterns have caught me a fair share of other species as well.

So my question here is, if you could choose just one "multi-purpose" fly to target all or most of your favourite species, what would the pattern be?

Im waiting for you experienced guys to tell me that...so i can get them tied...lol. I do like black/purple zonker im sure they will catch trout and i know that bass love them. But ive not caught a darn trout on the swing yet...so that is not confirmed...lol.

Muddler minnow. Most species of fish eat minnows

Honestly, I think I've caught more fish on a Muddler fishing it as a dry. Usually northern smallies ,I think they figure it is a hopper or a big caddis or miller type moth.

Honestly, I think I've caught more fish on a Muddler fishing it as a dry. Usually northern smallies ,I think they figure it is a hopper or a big caddis or miller type moth.

Yup, a bit of floatant and they make a good hopper imitation! Don Gapen created a good one when he came up with the muddler!

Archived