Long Point

rbrwrm

hunted the waterfowl unit on wed Oct 1 Was set up in a blind half an hour before legal time with 6 woody, 6 teal and a dozen mallard decoys,and 2 spinners.Beautiful morning with good breeze from our back and good cloud cover but not many birds moving til about 7:30 then a slow scattering of birds. I couldnt hit anything but my partner was doing pretty good and we ended up at noon with a woody 2 teal 2 mallards and a black hybred but if I had hit half of my good chances we would have limited. Was a good morning to start the season for us .Water levels are very high in the marsh making getting around easy but bring an extension for your spinner. Anyone that has not shot the waterfowl unit at long point should give it a try it is a good safe hassle free place to hunt I have hunted it for 50 years Dave

it's been a long summer it will take time to get in the rhythm again unless you shoot all summer long i never do

once you get your rhythm back your good to go but congrats on your hunt and good luck on the rest of the season

i have guys that come from L.P for taxidermy work and they love the L.P. MARSH

Good thing it wasn't you doing the missing Gunner..your lab might have gone home with the other guy

Well i do my share of missing and if he don't like it give me a sign and i will trade him for a poodle lol.

But he dose get upset when he hears that gun go off but no command to get the bird

Had a real good beagle once that I swear would give me a real dirty look if I missed or didn't get a shot off when she brought a rabbit around. I can't prove it but the next time that rabbit came around she'd put it in front of another hunter....gotta love a dog with personality.

yes coyotehunter i know the look you are talking about and when he don't get sent out i get wining from him very

loyal partner and if i didn't have him i wouldn't hunt ducks there's nothing like having a dog by your side especially

when i trained him myself

I've been dying to get to Long Point and try out the hunting there. Does anyone know if they allow solo hunters? I have one hunting buddy but he can only make it out maybe once each season so I mostly hunt solo. I see there's a 3 man limit but no mention of a minimum.

Also how are the walk in blinds? Would I be able to get by with just chest waders and no boat or dog? I do have an inflatable kayak but until I find a way to conceal it I would prefer to not have to use it.

one person is no problem they charge by the person not the blind and there are walkouts I think about 7 or 8 of them a good thing to do is use the reservation system and your kayak would not be hard to hide in the interior of the marsh just get some cammo cover from your local outdoor store good luck dave

Archived