Info On The Lower Grand

iHasFish

Hi all, I was hoping I could get a little insight into fishing the lower grand for steelhead. I am very familiar with the upper sections but have never attempted the lower. I will be wading and am not sure what areas are shallow enough. Just looking for an access point, if anyone can help, PM me please. Thanks everyone.

PS, its my birthday today!!! dirty 30. wooooooooooo

Grca website and look for river flow data. Anything over 50 feet per second is a hard wade a I find best time is near York. Caledonia dam is good but is a gong show. After a rain it dirties up quick so check just before u go the flow rate.

How low are you referring to? If your talking about Maitland to Dunnville, then I wouldn't even suggest wading. It's dirty and deep almost right off shore in the dam area and full of crap.

I heard a guy died about 3 weeks ago at the Caledonia Dam wading in front of the dam. Supposedly he was in the centre of the dam fishing and moved to the right of the dam and close to the whirlpool in front of the dam itself and he just got too close and got sucked into the whirlpool and obviously his waders filled up and never came up. The cops closed the park at the dam for a few days for investigation. So, be careful where you wade in the grand river and always use a feeler stick to check depth of bottom when you are fishing or walking unknown areas.

Ihasfish I would stick to the upper part near York area to cayuga and a couple miles down from Cal. Dam. The water has cooled off now and you don't want to swim in that water. Majority of the steelies are in the run of the river or centre of river depending where the deepest runs are located. Look for small rapids or eddy's and they like to hold or rest in those zones. Be careful and enjoy the fishing!!!!!

Archived