skunked again

Smokin Joe

6 am I hooked up with Charlie D for some bass fishing yesterday.We went to crystal beach and fished around the old pier. Charlie got into a few smallie's but I couldn't catch a cold, lol. They were tapping at it but couldn't get any really solid hits. Tried everything 7" pumpkinseeds, grubs, buzzbaits, spinners, tubes, and powerminnows. Any one have any suggestions as to what works best? I really enjoyed the opportunity to fish with you Charlie learned a lot, thanks.

perhaps there was something you had on your hands that was leaving a scent on the lure that the fish didn't like, cologne, aftershave, soap, food, etc. :blahblah1:

could be fishing it too fast, not fast enough.... lots of variables, just gotta keep plugging away at it :dunno:

Reg from Gill Finnigans reported that they used tubes and senkos for the tournament at Long Point.

Are you fishing your tubes weighted or weightless. Texas rigged or Carolina rigged. Try something different. Try adding Mizmos tube weights with rattles

Are you using a trailer hook on your spinner baits? Do you add a grub on your spinner bait hook for added colour/vibration etc?

Best tip I've gotten on buzzbaits - count to at least 3 before setting the hook.

Finally try senkos - talk to Reg at Gill Finnigans about the various techniques you can use for these incredible plastics. I just started using them (from shore) and I am really impressed with their versatility and fish attracting action.

Tightlines

Edward

Were you fishing from shore or from a boat? I normally see the West side of the pier being more productive then the east side. Try using a smoke coloured 4 inch grub or tube also if you are out there that early try ripping a stick bait through the shallows. If you are in a boat try fishing the hump just off of the point very productive try dragging a tube through there or drop shotting .

yeah it's possible cliff lol only thing I got was rockbass :(

We were shore fishing at the pier. Talked to Reg today picked up a few more senko's and tubes and a lot of much needed advice. No Tommy I retired the Scooby Doo pole to my 4 yr old son who is determined to catch a pike with it :lol: I was using and ugly stick rod, torantula reel with 14 lb spider wire. Mostly small lure's the largest was a 1/4 oz spinner bait. I do ok in the rivers and small lakes, never fished the great lakes before as I'm not originally from here.

There's nothing wrong with rock bass Pike007 we catch them all the time. But I was going for smallmouths and largemouths this trip. Yes Tommy it's the same diameter as 6-8 lb and it's the new clear type versus the traditional green color.

Ya it was good tto get out there, except tearing my leg on a rock. Was in alot of pain this weekend from it but all was fun. The fish were interested in 3 basic things a weedless 4" black and red worm, dark tube jig ( olive ws popular) and a berckly minnow on a jig head.....they were interested but would not really commit to anything but the minnow. I had to fish the baits really slow and jig them across the bottom. We saw some nice 4-5 pound largemouth near the sides of the pear but they would just look at everything and turn up there nose. All in all it was a good day for me, sorry you couldn't catch more Joe, but I had to end my skunk streak sometime

Guest FisherNick

With the invaison of gobbies I use a darker coloured tube, depending on the depth either weighted or weightless.

Other than that another of my all time erie favorites is pumpkinseed tube.

For largemouth bass I would use spinner baits, or plastic worms (darker colours usually).

Other than that Tommy is right, if you can see the bass they generally wont be hitting much other than live bait (if that).

Good luck your next time out.

Archived