Worst Fishing Purchase Ever?

MOE FISHIN

My worst fishing purchase ever was a Fly Rod, guess I was kidding myself when I purchased it, thinking I was going to learn how to fly fish, yeah right, I only took it out of the case once and that was to take pictures to sell it.

It is currently for sale in the classifieds section here at niagarafishing.net if anyone would like to make an offer to get it out of my house.

• 3 weeks later...

Great topic.

Bought a hundred dollar 3 piece Rapala travel rod with case for half off on sale. Used it twice in Cuba and DR. Was only catching small fish with it as I was surf casting. Actually used my $15 retractable rods way more while down there.

The third time I ever used it was in New Jersey in a small bass and chain pickerel lake and I was in an inflatable. I was reeling in and a pick hit my lure two feet away from the boat and took me by surprise. As he was only about 2 lbs, I decided to lift him in instead of netting or gilling.

SNAP! End piece breaks off. By this point it's been 3 years since my purchase and warranty is long gone. I emailed Rapala in Canada and Finland and asked if I can buy just the end piece and have it shipped. Nope. SOL. So I got to use the rod three times. Just glad I didn't pay full price.

Now, I wouldn't have broken the rod had I netted it and I can take some of the blame. But what makes it a bad purchase for me is that I never buy any rod or reel for more than $30 since I am not a serious angler but I did pay $50 + tax for this thing. I have 3 retractables and they were $15 and $17 and free. And I've caught tonnes of medium sized bass and pike on them since I always use them when wading (fit in my backpack) and on my inflatable since they are 5.5 to 6 feet. Not one of them has broken and I treat them rough too as they are convenience rods.

You can't really complain if u buying the cheap China stuff ... its made to break imo its also not worth it to fix or send out a cheap rod if u want cheap buy an ugly stick they break less often i think you may not see the relevance in paying a couple hundred bucks for a rod but if you get one you will understand.

if you had a 50$ rod for 3yrs thats 2.9yrs past its life expectancy lol

You can't really complain if u buying the cheap China stuff ... its made to break imo its also not worth it to fix or send out a cheap rod if u want cheap buy an ugly stick they break less often i think you may not see the relevance in paying a couple hundred bucks for a rod but if you get one you will understand.

if you had a 50$ rod for 3yrs thats 2.9yrs past its life expectancy lol

for the kind of fishing i do, the couple hundred dollar rod probably wouldn't be worth it for me. but i have used them when fishing in the kawarthas on my cousin's bass boat. he has an assortment of rods and reels worth thousands and he trusts me enough to use them. and they definitely felt nicer than what i have and the medium heavy with baitcaster he let me use came in real handy when lugging those bass out of the slop and pads.

but since i toss around my rods and don't do much finesse fishing, expensive rods wouldn't be worth it to me.

now i just wish you could buy the one end of the rod that broke instead of having to buy a whole rod but that's not the way it works.

and i'm not necessarily complaining. but what made it a bad purchase for me is that i knew i wasn't going to get good use out of it and already have a bunch of retractables which i was fine with all along so i made a bad purchase by buying something for more than my budget that i was barely going to use.

O yea its all good i was just saying the more exp rods are made of better materials better quality control etc raven has lifetime warantee and you can buy just the top or bottom for 35$..... throw away rods are just that.. by the time you send it out they match the ends up (not every rod can fit together with any peice some are smaller bigger etc) And u pay for the end you might as well buy another cheap rod...then how many cheap rods do you buy until you've paid more then what you would have paid for a good rod or reel that wouldn't have given you all that hassle in the first place... its like buying a cheap tv it works but will prob break and the picture sucks you also have to jiggle the cord a bit lol u know what i mean? I duno just what ive learned plus when u shell out the dough the company treats u good. I have lots of calcuttas and high end shimano/loomis rods and when i send them out they generally dont even xharge me for small repairs and parts. Its also not a hassel to deal with them.....

perhaps if i get to the point of owning a real boat and fishing some proper lakes, i think i would upgrade to some quality stuff with warranty. actually twice last year i was fishing a new lake that had nice cover and pads and i lost a tonne of fish because they broke me off on the stems of the pads. my reel and rod just were not up to the task of consistently pulling them out.

and if i ever got into drop shotting and jig tactics, etc. i think i'd want some quality gear.

Yea for sure back when i was just starting fishing was the same for me couldnt ever land the 'big ones' lol then you realize catching is all percentages if you up ur odds with better gear, better spots, fishing prime times, right size bait....etc you will catch more/bigger/better fish for sure! As long as you put in your time. Its takes sometging like 10,000 hrs to master something keep at er!

Okuma baitcaster ......junk as soon as it got close to zero deg outside the gears slipped drag didnt work..... total crap. Also any new shimano reels with the lighter junk gearing. Oh most of anything bass pro brand too... Chinese made junk Overpriced and garbage (most of it)

Had the same issues with a particular Shimano reel...and because they were made in China..they didn't account for the fact that the gears (anti-reverse) would shrink in extreme cold weather (or at least that was what I was told)..still like Shimano reels though..I also like some Okuma's..and have no other complaints.

Great topic.

Bought a hundred dollar 3 piece Rapala travel rod with case for half off on sale. Used it twice in Cuba and DR. Was only catching small fish with it as I was surf casting. Actually used my $15 retractable rods way more while down there.

The third time I ever used it was in New Jersey in a small bass and chain pickerel lake and I was in an inflatable. I was reeling in and a pick hit my lure two feet away from the boat and took me by surprise. As he was only about 2 lbs, I decided to lift him in instead of netting or gilling.

SNAP! End piece breaks off. By this point it's been 3 years since my purchase and warranty is long gone. I emailed Rapala in Canada and Finland and asked if I can buy just the end piece and have it shipped. Nope. SOL. So I got to use the rod three times. Just glad I didn't pay full price.

Now, I wouldn't have broken the rod had I netted it and I can take some of the blame. But what makes it a bad purchase for me is that I never buy any rod or reel for more than $30 since I am not a serious angler but I did pay $50 + tax for this thing. I have 3 retractables and they were $15 and $17 and free. And I've caught tonnes of medium sized bass and pike on them since I always use them when wading (fit in my backpack) and on my inflatable since they are 5.5 to 6 feet. Not one of them has broken and I treat them rough too as they are convenience rods.

Could be the rod had a nick in it that could have come off the shelf in shipping, but proving it will be tough. Having said that, my friend snapped a $500 sage zaxis doing exactly what you did. While steelhead fishing he hooked about a 3-4lb sucker and instead of bending over hoisted it up a 4' bank and I was beside him when it went "pop"[ just above the first guide. Again, probably a nick in the rod blank...but also next time he wont show off...LOL cause that's what he was doing.

Had the same issues with a particular Shimano reel...and because they were made in China..they didn't account for the fact that the gears (anti-reverse) would shrink in extreme cold weather (or at least that was what I was told)..still like Shimano reels though..I also like some Okuma's..and have no other complaints.

yea me too they also weren't 'higher end' reels gota get the made in Japan stuff.

Worst purchse I made wasn't a big one...it was the Banjo Minnow (as seen on TV). The first, and last, infomercial lure for me. NOTHING bites these things!! Not sure why I haven't thrown them out yet...the bloody things are still in my tackle tote! Anyone want them...you can have them for just 3 easy payments of $9.99!! :)

Worst purchse I made wasn't a big one...it was the Banjo Minnow (as seen on TV). The first, and last, infomercial lure for me. NOTHING bites these things!! Not sure why I haven't thrown them out yet...the bloody things are still in my tackle tote! Anyone want them...you can have them for just 3 easy payments of $9.99!! :)

I'm with you on that one....they are crap. Can't believe they are still selling them

Don't throw out your banjo minnows they work great at the niagara river bar for lakers,and if you get snagged up who cares.

My worst purchase?

Probably the private jet I bought to cart me and my family around the globe, fishing in exotic locations...for once in a lifetime species......

All paid for by the paycheck I receive for administering these forums

I truely am the 1%

LOL!

G

I'm suprised I haven't heard any stories from shopping at JR's in welland (the outdoor store) where majority of everything he sold was from fire sales and what not, I've bought rods there tho and gotten sweet deals and thank god I haven't had any issues, but my dad did go in there and spent a hefty $800 on a eagleview fish finder, thats look like its from the 80's lol... thing works sort of when it comes to temp and depth but could have purchased something a lot better for that price, but my dad doesn't know a whole lot about fishing can't blame him.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Fenwick 7ft ultra light rod. I was planning on using it to fish for smallmouth in some of the rivers I kayak fish on. First time out it snapped in half on a fish strike. I had lost my receipt so I went back to the store I bought it from and bought a second rod just like it with the I tent of using the new receipt to ruturn the broken rod for a refund. I ended being busy and unorganized so I lost that receipt as well. So now I have a rod that I bought twice. And I don't even like it! LOL

The Wife's fishing licence..

that was my best purchase ever...lol. You coming? Nah...ill skip this time...ok see ya later, dont say i never offered. Zzzooommm out the door without so much as even thinking to ask a second time...lol.

Just kidding..LOL

Archived