Streamer Flies

Flywire

Can anyone tell me if there is a place around Niagara where one can buy a beginners kit to learn how to tie. I buy a ton of streamers every year and thought it might be fun to start making my own on those cold snowy days. Cheers. ;)

ok if you want to buy some i have them for sale @$1 each also if you want to learn how to tie streamers i can show you ...send me a email i will have you come to my place and show you how its done before you buy anything..this way you can buy what you will need... please rember i am a truckdriver and gone for 10 to 15 days at a time..however i do get my email every day email me here...

hardrunner@cogeco.ca

use "streamers" in the subject line so i dont think its spam..

It's kinda hard to explain how to tie streamers here. There are many types of streamers with many different materials. However, there are several general types...

Spey flies are used in Europe and the East Coast a lot. They have huge feather wings and a very tall vertical profile. I don't tie them at all because they tend to be quite delicate (don't last long LOL). Pattern like Lady Amherst is a good example.

Then there are some bucktail streamers that I like a lot. They usually have silver tinsel bodies with bucktail wings. I like patterns like Coho Blue, Skymorish Sunrise, Purple Peril...

You can also use rabbit strips...I like to use 4" strips in white, olive and pink. Although it's only my first try at them this fall, I got a few follows and a good hit on them so far from only a couple hours of fishing them.

This is just a generalization. Here's a few couple sites to visit for more patterns...

West Fly

Ultimate Fly Tying

Archived