Gman/Boostnawd 23/10 Upper Niagara Report (pics)

Guest Gman

The weather was looking good for Saturday and the water report from Ziekertail was even better. So, Boostnawd, JD and I decided to meet up at Timmy's in Burlington off Brant for 5:50am. Got our goodies then made way to the mighty Upper Niagara.

I was really excited as the water conditions from the Ziekertial's report indicated it was only going to get better, I was fishing for the first time with Boostnawd and I had a new C3 6500 along with a new 10 inch jointed Strawberry Believer = WICKED DEADLY !!!

Got to the stop sign at Netherby and saw the Mukymn had just launched so we knew to keep an eye out for him. We headed to the lunch at the marina just up the way.

160DCP03236-med.JPG

While we were preparing the boats and getting dressed for the weather we were supposed to have of 15km/h winds, drizzle and overcast Squid pulled up and introdcued him self. It was the first time meeting him and found out he came from the same area we did - Burlington. So we spent a few moments chatting then hit the water.

The ramp is nice but it's tight.

We drove straight out from the marina to 15-20fow at started trolling up towards Frenchmans. I had my new 10 inch jointed Believer and Boostnawd presented a Super Shad Rap. Trolled all the way up zig zagging in and out of the shoreline. I was amazed to see that up toward the triangle we could be 8-10 feet from shore and in 18fow-WOW! We worked the area thoroughly upto and just past Frenchmans with nothing. Squid and JD were not too far behind. JD and I were keeping touch on the VHF. We then turned around and started to troll back down with different baits bouncing off bottom. Nothing.

By this time it was about 16-18 degrees, no wind and the water clarity was probably I think between 5-8 feet. Got back down to the marina and saw Mskymn tossin' around. Trolled down to just before Netheryby's then decided to cast the shoreline for a while with JD, nadda, not even a follow. Worked in and out casting bucktails, shad raps, believers - you name it we threw it.

The fall folliage was still beautifull -

160DCP03230-med.JPG

After the arms got a little tired and I had worked out my frustrations with the Powerpro we decided to head down towards Navy Island and do some casting there.

Bottom of Navy Island

160DCP03232-med.JPG

There were some reeds at the bottom by a drop off that we were casting, however I didn't feel all that comfortable that far down river. The water was around 15ft and the current was stronger than it looked. I had an erie feeling and just didn't like being that close to the falls so we decided to troll up from there. I thought we were closer to the falls than we actually were as I checked on my fathers chart plotter whe we got back to find out we were really 3.8 miles up from the falls.

On the wasy back we saw Squid putting in a solid effort to no avail at least till that point. I hope you managed to put something in that boat as I know JD, Mskymn and we didn't.

Just after chatting with him we saw Mskymn workin' hard. No results either. We advised we were heading back up to just above Frechmans'to try out luck casting the shoreline.

Spent about 2 hours casting everything everywhere without seeing a thing.

The border patrol boys were driving up and down all day, I didn't see them bother anyone.

Anyways, had a great day on the water with Boostnawd and by the way, you're welcome in my boat any day !

Learned a little more about the river, got to know by new reel and get a feel for that Powerpro line along with a nice tan on my face.

Will be out again 'reel' soon between completing my basement renovations. There is still plenty of good fishing left.

Cheers,

Gman

Keep em coming gman. A good read and I learned something about my own area. Would the triangle be the area on the upstream side of the island? It's a nice looking spot to shore fish yet I have spent very little time there. Too much current on shore and never even a follow so I usually end up at the marina or the mouth.

Gman I think you were casting the shoreline when I was on shore at frenchmens. We quickly got fed up with the weeds every cast so packed it in and hit a few other spots. I ended up with about a 24-28 inch pike.

Archived