Welland River Has No Ice

spiro

I've noticed the carp guys keep their rod horizontal. What is the purpose of this? When I catfish I like my rods to be almost completely vertical. That way when the fish picks up the bait and runs with it the hook sets itself and the rod is more of a shock absorber.

Most carp fishermen use a bait runner reel the line will pull off the reel easier then if the rod was vertical. I noticed that last year when I stared carp fishing. That's my opinion not sure if it's the actual reason tho.

I caught a few in wellandport last Friday nothing bigger then 2.8lbs. Using worms and last years frozen cutbait. Lots of branches and debris going down the river. I also put my rod in the vertical position. Like it better the horizontal, in the wind I do go horizontal tho.

Horizontal also helps the line lay directly along the bottom when fishing slack line situations.

Vertical is good when there is a lot of weeds, etc, flowing by and you want less line in the water for all the debris to catch on.

I find carp run bite and run like hell so I go vertical for carp and leave my drag as loose as possible. When the carp bites it runs and the drag screams. I then pick the rod up and tighten the drag and usually the carp is lip hooked. For cats I use a circle hook and I find they chew the bait almost so usually I can detect the bites if the rod is horizontal. Dont know if that it the correct way but I seem to hook the fish better and am able to release them with the two different rigs for the two different species.

I also use circle hooks when cat fishing. I keep my line and drag set tight. The beauty of circle hooks is you don't need to set the hook. as the fish pulls on the bait it will hook itself nearly 100% of the time. I find my bite/catch ratio is very high using this method. I don't loose many fish. With the rod vertical it is easier to detect bites for me.

Archived