Maritime Radio Course

mrbones55

What do you want to know, I was a Radioman in the navy for twenty-three years, when I retired I was 4th Sqn Chief Radioman. At one time, we were exempt from taking the course and test due to our training. All we had to do was apply for a license. You should know the phonetic alphabet, voice procedure, distress procedures, the important channels e.g. Channel 16 etc. and proper voice procedure. Just read the study material and you should do fine.

Many government tests have one or two questions that have to be answer correctly in order to pass. Ask if that is the case on this exam. When I took my military drivers test there was one question that had to be answered correctly or you would fail. I knew the question before hand, a major who took the test with didn't and he failed. Was he ever pissed off.

1. Who issues the license.

2. Penalty for making false distress signal.

3. Radio equipment eligible for licensing in Canada must be approved by whom?
4. Which messages are prohibited

5. How do you get a Restricted Operator's Certificate

6. What does MAYDAY mean

7.The spoken word/expression used to indicate an urgency

8. Know when to use zulu time a/k/a Greenich mean time

9. How is an urgency call constructed, what parts should be included

10. What word is used to indicate a message is NOT over and a reply is expected

11. Understand how to use a microphone

12. What does PAN PAN mean

13. What word is used to indicate to another station to proceed with their message

14. What word is used to indicate an error in a message

15. What does 'say again' mean

16. What does marine EPIRBs stand for

17. How long should a signal test last

18. Know urgency situations

19. Know What readability 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 means

Great info Botchegalupe ! I took the course with the power squadrons along with the advanced boating course...lots of great info. Try to remember your phonetic alphabet...alpha, bravo, charlie, echo....over...lol. Call on 16 then move to another channel. Know how to present your distress calls and the repeats as well. Most of all have fun with it...well worth the knowledge gained.

Archived