Attn: cplummer

Guest Ken

I read that you used to build custom rods in St. Kitts? That's St. Kitts in the Caribbean?

If it's not St. Kitts in Caribbean, you can stop reading if you wish LOL.

If so, what type of rods did you build? I'm planning to visit Hawaii again 3 years from now...gonna stay there for a month of R&R after I graduate with an undergrad degree LOL. I've been researching on their local fishing and they like to do a lot of shore casting. (To all others who are reading this...if you think Port D fisherman can cast far, ie. across to the other wall, try Hawaii...those guys feel ashamed to put out anything less than a 100 yd cast! LOL) Anyways, back to topic, I was wondering if you have ever build shorecasting rods. I'm looking for something in the 20-50lb range, with lure weight from 1-8 oz, 2 piece, 11' minimum and 14' maximum, fiberglass or graphite or graphite top section with fiberglass second half.

What might this rod be used for? It's a technique called 'dunking'...pretty much a bottom fishing technique. Those bell sinkers have 4 light wire coming out of the bottom of the bell. They cast out these weights up to 8oz, and attempt to snag the reef with the wire on the weight. Then they attach a spring apparatus to the mainline. The spring has the leader and the hook tied onto it. To the hook, they put on a 1lb bonefish, or octopus, or other reef fish as bait (Now you know why they need this system...it's almost impossible trying to cast out a 1lb bait out a 100yds!) This system is mainly used for giant trevally, but they also get barracuda and tunas on it. When a fish takes, the hookset or the strike will pull bend the wire straight and release the weight so that the angler can now hold on and hope for the best. Those damned Hawaiians have refined it to such a specific system such that it's hard to find a rod that matches all those specs! Much like Hawaiians trying to find a float rod in Hawaii LOL. If you can build a personalized one for me for less than $200 Cdn, that'd be awesome. Otherwise, I can get a mass-produced one in Hawaii.

BTW, I'm very tempted to adapt their dunking technique for use in Canada...maybe on rocky rivers where holding a presentation in strong current is often difficult.

Archived