Muskies In The Murk

Jim K

Thanks guys.

I had always assumed Muskies pretty much ate any easily available fish. I have found over the years that these two cousins actually often hang together. It is not uncommon for them to hold on the river bottom inches apart, and we have had a few instances where I pushed in close on a walleye and had the muskie actually defend him by getting up in my face.

i was lead to believe that the muskie was a lone wolf hunter that was a very aggressive predator. But I have come to believe that they often work with other muskies and walleye, particularly this time of year, and in the fall. All of that is contrary to popular belief, but I don't really know if anyone has spent much time observing muskellunge behavior.

On the other hand, I did have a nice yellow pike supper. Cajun seasoning, aluminum foil, and on the grill. But it wasn't that one. We had picked up one in 40 fow on a copper harness, and two more trolling stick baits the previous evening. Don't tell the Muskies.

Jim

Im sure you must know and have seen them together...i wonder if the same would be true with pike and walleye? I know fishing walleye ice fishing that as soon as a pike shows up on the line its often non productive just before and for a while after that walleye return. You never know the interesting things that go on under the water...i would imagine an injured fish no matter what it is will be muskie dinner.

I can't really say the same holds true for Northern and Walleye, I just haven't watched them enough underwater to say either way. I really don't see many pike in the Niagara when diving, Although I've caught a few. I do see them in the St Lawrence, but I don't recall an instance where they were with walleye. I would need to see it occur about a dozen times or so before I would make the claim anyhow, because it could be an oddity, or coincidence.

Pike seem quite a bit more aggressive. Not as much as a smallmouth, but more than a muskie.

Cool vid Jim! You diving in the lower Niagara? I too seen some weird fish behavior. I remember May 24 many years ago in the pool I seen the biggest Musk I've ever seen. I've caught a lot of musky I my time but wow. I thinking 45-50lbs 55" ish and that's being in the spring too. It was the evilest looking fish I've ever seen. Anyway's I was throwing everything at it, but no takers. Then a school of steelies would come in, like 20-25 of them for about 30 sec and actually bouncing off the musky. I was thinking I'm gonna see one of them be a nice diner lol. Then a few minutes later same thing with a bunch of lakers. This went on for about 20-25 min. I even stopped fishing just to watch. I'm like they're crazy, but the musky just hovered like nothing was around. Maybe schools like that have some kind of respect, I don't know but it was very cool to witness that.

I haven't dove the lower in years. It seems every season I intend to, but we never put it together. I have heard that a muskie might only eat every few days. That, of course, depends on the size of the meal, and water temperature. They are not really the killing machines people portray them to be.

I would definitely say they are moody. You never know what you will get from a musky. They are my favorite freshwater fish to film because of it.

There are some huge ones in the lower, lots of food, and less fishing pressure on them.

Thats pretty cool video Jim non the less...love seeing that kind of footage. I swam within 5-6 ft of a barracuda that was about 4-5 ft long with 4 little babies swimming along side it when i snorkled in St. Thomas. So neat to see them in thier natural ways. Look forward to any more of these you do. I assume that was the upper niagara river. How is it to scuba with the current? Does it move you along very much?

Yes, upper River Dave. It's all drift diving. It's very difficult to stop in many places, and to go upstream even a few feet to retrieve something takes a lot of effort. We have developed a few techniques to deal with it to a point. I'd say we cover about a kilometer in 30 minutes, trying to go as slow as we can.

Archived