Grimsby Pier

Guest GrimsbyAl

Guest GrimsbyAl

Went out last night, got two browns around 2 lbs each. Water had about 4 feet of vis. and calm. One salmon went by the end of the pier looked around 20lbs.

Guest bigfishbass

do you have any pics of your catch.... still would like to make it out there one day as I am so close... but the kids and work tend get in the way LOL....

Had a friend who lived in Grimsby tell me about how good that pier could be.

I spent a whole lot of time,mornings and night there last fall and think i had 1 follow...lol.

At least i went home with a clean tackle box because i washed about every lure i have.

Nice to hear someones getting something there.

Guest GrimsbyAl

I use the same lure everytime i go, and have great luck. I think the biggest part of hooking into fish down there is knowing when to go. You got to keep an eye on the weather and wind. It doesn't take alot to get the all muddy. I will not share my lure of choice but it is a spoon.

Well i threw cleo's,krocodiles,williams,rapala's...ect...ect also roe and worms both off bottom and drifting under a float.

In total i think i saw 3 fish caught in all the time i was there.

The friend could not believe we didn't get anything(usually had a friend with me).

Probably just a bad fall there.

GrimsbyAl, I gotta ask. What possible reason could you have for not saying what your lure of choice is? Are you afraid someone is go out there and catch "your" fish? Gimme a break. I hear guys talking in code on the radio out in the boat all summer and that is just as silly.

Boat #1: psssshhhhhttt "Hey Al, you out there"

Boat #2: psssshhhhhttt "Yeah, what's up, where you at?"

Boat #1: psssshhhhhttt " I'm in that spot we talked about in camp last week, just put another one in the boat"

Boat #2: psssshhhhhttt "What are they hitting on?"

Boat #1: psssshhhhhttt "that lure I got that nice brown on that one day 14 years ago, you know the one"

Boat #2: psssshhhhhttt " Oh yeah, that pretty green lure."

and so on.

Just confused and wondering.

Tim

Certain lures are only stocked in some stores, there is one I really like, the name is rarely revealed. Why? It is considered a fall time only lure and the stores that do the stocking bring very few in and I am not the only one who likes these lures, last season in driving throughout Niagara I could only find about 5 lures in total (well the specific color I wanted).

Its one thing if its a Rapala or a Cleo since you can buy those anywhere, but if its something that isnt stocked very well ... I won't be sharing unless you have something for me ;)

Guest GrimsbyAl

That little area and creek in Grimsby are so small that if more people were to head down and start doing what they do at other areas it would be killed in no time. Some of us have spent some time to find out what works. By not telling you what works you wil get fed up and go elsewhere, where the fishing is easy. Seperates the men from the boys. If you want to know what works in the lake i'll tell ya, if you want me to tell ya where the fishing is hot and what to use your lazy. I enjoy tip like the rest of you, but come on.!!! Don't be afraid to do a little work. Some of the fun is trying to figure out what works.

Here,Here GrimsbyAl I agree with you 100%. The internet is a great tool, but I could never understand why anyone would willing give up every detail of their hotspot. The more people that know your spots and tricks the less fish your going catch. I'm not saying that I would not give some pionters too a rookie if I meet them on the water, or help a friend get into this sport. However I will not fish and tell.

Well im no kid and i enjoy the challenge of enticing fish to take my lure but lets keep this in perspective and not begin slinging insults.

For the amount of time i spent there,if there were fish in the vicinity i expect some of them would have hit my offering.

And there were quite often others there as well and they didn't get anything either,other than the 3 i saw taken over the 3 months i was there.

And a couple of 2lbs browns does not make it a hot spot.However keeping your lure secret is total up to you.

Might see ya down there some time Al.

Tight lines. ;)

Guest GrimsbyAl

You are correct 2 browns does not make it a hot spot, but for myself and others that live just a walk away and can go down and hook into fish more times than not because we have LOCAL knowledge, ie: weater and water does make it a hot spot. It's not the Niagara river but there are fish. People want insta fish, they don't want to put in the time to figure it out, and why should they? the Niagara river is just up the road.

As i stated in my first post my friend lived in grimsby and had local knowledge.

I fished when the wind was out of the N,S,E,W...was sunny, cloudy,raining....barometer was rising, falling....ect..ect.I don't give up easily and went there at least 3-4 times a week for hours on end figuring if the fish did turn on i was gonna be there darn it...lol.

And my friend was amazed we never caught anything.Alot of the others who fished there were locals and just walked down.They too were skunked most times.

But i have a question for you.Did you fish there much last fall and if so how was it?

Because if you did we were probably sharing a piece of the pier.

Guest GrimsbyAl

I fish the pier spring and fall four years now. Yes I have had my bad days, I not saying I never get skunked, but I have had more good days than bad. and when the fishing is poor i go else where. The other day when i got the 2 browns there were 5 people that came and went, I was the only one that hooked up.

Guest cplummer

went to grimsby last night around 11 pm in the park (stream) not a fish to be seen!!!!! ended up at baileys . lots of fish stuck they all been caught probably 30 times each..

I wasn't looking for information, I'm stateside and have no interest in ever going to Grimsby. I have been fishing for trout and salmon in the the tribs since 1980 , the piers at Olcott since 1986 or so, and the big lake by boat since 96, and I know what works. I was just curious why what lure you were using was such as big secret. Got some magic mojo on it?

I just thought that was being kind of silly that's all.

Tim

its a personal thing, there are many users who just lurk from the region we fish, if you post that your hot spot and the lure that never fails you, many people will be fishing with that exact same setup in the spot

I was going to walk away from this thread because it's really not worth argueing over, but, with the direction this thread has taken, I think I need to clarify.

I never asked about a spot, I don't care about your secret spots and don't blame you at all for not disclosing them. Al said he was fishing on the Grimsby Pier. Who would need more specific information than that?

I just thought it was odd that the spoon he was using was such a big secret. It's not like one spooon and only one spoon will work, or even one specific color for that matter.

I thought the general purpose of these posts was supposed to be somewhat informative. It seems to me that this excessive secrecy over insignificant points reduces these posts from informative to simply bragging.

Tim

Archived