Better Choice...3Pc Or 4Pc?

troutmedic

Hi all,

looking for some insight on what would be the better blank to purchase in a 8wt....3pc or 4pc...

advantages vs disadvantages in the two ??

for what im buying its a difference of $20 so thats not a concern....the 4 pc being the more expensive one !

Any knowledge would be of help as I've only been fly fishing for 2 1/2 yrs now :)

I currently use a 4 pc and often wondered what if this was a 3 or even a 2 pc, would it make a difference??

Thnx in advance :)

A 4 piece is easier to pack for travelling. My 10 weight is a 14' rod and a 3 piece, which means its too long for carry-on, even when travelling by train. And while travelling by train, I've had that rod lost 3 times! A shorter package should be OK for carry-on. And its also easier to stuff into a car trunk or into a backpack.

Now don't get me wrong: I love that rod, but I wish it was a 4 piece.

4 piece will fit in a carry on at 10 foot 6 the 3 piece may not. This makes a huge difference when travelling. When I went to NF last year my sage packed into my carry for free and my buddies loomis cost him 45$ for special cargo

Thnx guys on the travel info but im looking more into whether or not there is a difference between performance in the two or is it a non issue??

Maybe Cliff can weigh in on this?

Archived