Welland Rec Canal

Jmo1685

Hey Everyone,

After getting all new carp gear for Christmas (Daiwa Black Widow Combo, bite alarm etc) I plan on investing 90% of my fishing to carp next year. I was curious if anyone here has ever carp fished the Rec Canal in Welland. I will be hiring up this spot on numerous occasions this summer but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this body of water in terms of carp. I have seen them in there, just never targeted them before.

Hey, that's my carp rod too Jmo1685, Love my Black Widow; a real good rod for the price, IMO.

Dunno about the rec canal, so I'd be interested to hear the responses too.

I'm dying to get out and put her to work. I know I have seen many carp in a few spots but they never stayed in place for long. My girlfriend is going to kayak the canal this summer so I'm going to spend the whole day carping (12 hour days probably). I don't think that they are targeted too much in the canal so I'm hoping that if I chum a spot enough they will find me and not be too cautious. Why does spring have to be so far away? :(

My advice is to chum a spot for a week .. those carp never stay still in there but yea there's some monsters! I always thought targeting them in the fly would be the best way to get one in the rec

Unfortunatley, I live in Brampton now because of work with the TRCA, and I only come home on weekends, so chumming for a week won't work. I have a very potent and highly attractive chum mixture (works errywhere I've used it) that I hope will bring them around in a short time frame. If not, I might try a run and gun approach (3 hours a spot and then move)

Amen to that !

The best part about living in Brampton and having my parents here in Niagara is that I can alternate where I fish on weekends. One weekend i come home and fish in Niagara and the other weekends I spend at the mouths of the GTA tribs and other ponds around there. I spent all summer electrofishing both in streams and on boats so I also have the advantage of knowing alot of spots that are shore accessible that hold alot of Carp ;) ( I knew all that money spent on my education would pay off in some way)

I also have a large spring fed (at least I believe it to be so) pond about 5 mins from my apartment that is loaded with 10 pound carp and a big mirror carp. I have had days at this pond where I've caught a carp every 30 minutes and the best part is that everyone who fishes the pond is busy with the small bass population and leave all the "garbage fish" as they call them to me. Then the look on there face when I out catch them 5-0 in a few hours haha.

It's nice to have something so close, so when you don't have much time during the week, you just need a couple of hours to get your carp fix on.

I live in Hamilton, so within a short drive of my place, there are lots of good spots throughout the harbour area to fish. I can spend a few hours after work or an entire day, without having to travel far.

Up in Allen berg the rivers that run by the train tracks there's alot of carp on there a little bit of a hike to get back the definitely worth it

I took a gander at Google Maps and i saw where you are talking about... well, im 90% sure I did. Do you fish the river above the dam or below the damn? Also, would I just park on the side of Holland Road and walk in? If you dont wanna share on here, you can PM me if you like :)

Archived