Muskie Hunting

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Met up with Salmon this AM in St.Catharines,he drop his car off at my house and we were off to Fort Erie in the fog. It looked to be worse then yesterday. Tried trolling down river then we started drifting these really big suckers,they call them whales. Had what we think was few pickups. then Salmon noticed the line on one rod running out from the side of the boat,fish on,Salmon reeled him up to the point where we could see him,then he set the hook,but it wasn't to be, off went the Muskie,looked to be just over 30". That was it for the day. We were off the river at 4:00

Happy Birthday Simon :)

Just when I finally thought I'd be the young guy in the boat for the day, it turns out I was the old fart once again :dunno:

Big and SteveK

Buddy has rabbitt dodo every mornin,fresh pickings in the backyard, he has had the trots,and is on medication :blush:

Thanks for the heads up :worthy:

Met up with Salmon this AM in St.Catharines,he drop his car off at my house and we were off to Fort Erie in the fog. It looked to be worse then yesterday. Tried trolling down river then we started drifting these really big suckers,they call them whales. Had what we think was few pickups. then Salmon noticed the line on one rod running out from the side of the boat,fish on,Salmon reeled him up to the point where we could see him,then he set the hook,but it wasn't to be, off went the Muskie,looked to be just over 30". That was it for the day. We were off the river at 4:00

Just when I finally thought I'd be the young guy in the boat for the day, it turns out I was the old fart once again :dunno:

Big and SteveK

Buddy has rabbitt dodo every mornin,fresh pickings in the backyard, he has had the trots,and is on medication :blush:

1833[/snapback]

Big and SteveK

1833[/snapback]

Hey Brian what were you trolling with.My cousin makes his own muskie baits that we troll with.We might be out there Thurs. to try our luck.

Hey Brian what were you trolling with.My cousin makes his own muskie baits that we troll with.We might be out there Thurs. to try our luck.

1838[/snapback]

Not trying to be smart,I'm not a Muskie guy!

Simon had some Muskie baits,deep diving kind? They had a big lip on them and were about 8" long. Live Suckers were a foot long.

Not trying to be smart,I'm not a Muskie guy! 

Simon had some Muskie baits,deep diving kind? They had a big lip on them and were about 8" long. Live Suckers were a foot long.

1840[/snapback]

Judging by all the pics I see from you I can tell you,re a trout guy.I,m looking forward to the Niag. bar this winter,I bought a new boat & gonna give it a whirl

Hey laketrout your going to do a lot of damage to the muskies using live bait.Why not stick to artificals,there are a lot of ways to catch muskies.If you put in your time and try different technics you'll start to hook up without doing unnessary damage to a very slow growing and fragile fish. Think about the future.

OK stupid question here ....

Why is live bait worse to use as opposed to something that has 3 or 4 giant trebble hooks ???

I have heard this about muskies a few times and just wonderin ... im undereducated in the muskie department since this year is the first season I have gone out targeting them specifically

IBC

With live bait you have too wait to long to set the hook,and you end up deep hooking the fish.I would suggest to anybody out there just starting out musky fishing to get the musky hunter magazine.This magazine is the best source of information on musky fishing.Think about the future.

Guest Gill Finigan

Just my .02,Not just muskie, but most sport fish. Anytime you plan on releasing fish live bait is a bad selection. If your planning on keeping your catch live bait is fine, but i've seen lots of badly bleeding fish from deep hooks be tossed back in to die a slow death. Todays artificials are well made and can catch as many if not more then live bait most times.

I know the gentlemen LT was fishing with today and I've fished with him many times. He'll put the health of a fish before his own. He's an avid angler a huge supporter of C&R.

Quick strick rigs are always a good option when using livebait.

Too bad you guys didn't boat one, but I'm sure the action was good enough to coax salmon back for another try! :worthy:

Just my 02+

I rather use the one hook and live bait then using a 9 hook bait.

April10thSalmon2.jpg

LT8.jpg

Salmon.jpg

LT3.jpg

LT4.jpg

April10thSalmon2.jpg

and the list goes on......

These all survived to swim away,after that :worthy:

Yes Markus Salmon's pritty much fired up about the upper,he shall return.

ham&eggs

You don't have to wait till winter,the lower niagara and Bar have Browns and Steelhead at this time of year.

Archived