Battery Wiring Question..?

So the motor and all accessories on my boat runs off of one battery...Including the front trolling motor.

My thought is to put a second battery up front by tapping into the line and putting in a isolator switch so I don't drain both when trolling.

Then when I want to charge it just turn the switch back to on and should charge from the motor.

Now will adding a second battery this way double my voltage and burn things out ..or just add battery life and spread the load?

As long as you maintain you +-'s the same you are running 12V, just with different capacity depending on how many batteries are in parallel. Series will change your voltage by a multiple of the # of batteries are in series.

So + to + and - to - and all should be good.

I think that's how it was running as I found the isolator switch in front along with a short black connector wiring.So probably from isolator to battery with that connection.

It's just that he has the reds connected (from battery and from e/trolling)and taped so I think he was forgoing the second battery.....

Thanks A

Cranking battery at the back for the engine and accessories that charges off the engine, I'd go a separate deep cycle at the front for the trolling motor, not tied to the engine battery and charge it with a charger separately after a trip.

The cranking battery that starts the engine and a few accessories like lights and bilge should not need charging, the engine should keep it up.

Trolling motors are best off a deepcycle and yes need charging after every trip

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the new strange thing.

Took a quick look at the electric and the red is attached with a reply looking thing (rectangular metal piece with 2 bolt on spots) and the black is not attached to anything but the motor works.

Wondering what and how...things are working?

Here's the new strange thing.

Took a quick look at the electric and the red is attached with a reply looking thing (rectangular metal piece with 2 bolt on spots) and the black is not attached to anything but the motor works.

Wondering what and how...things are working?

try this anytime you install a second battery on a 12volt system its aways +-+ and -to- red to red and black to black

I would keep all your electronics and starting engine on one battery The second battery i would designate to the trolling motor keep it simple

and charge it after every outing

ok so the relay has one load wire on it RED it acts as a inline fuse that trip when overloaded but unlike a fuse it will

reset its self. hope this helps

Archived