Now I HAVE to catch one..

RyannLarge

I went down the GR yesterday geared up with my MTB catfish box. To my surprise something went for the big treble I had tied on but it was either too big for the fish down there or I didn't get the hook set because a few feet later it spit the hook. A couple in a kayak went by shortly after and the carp went crazy! Now I have to catch one there is no option.

54 minutes ago, RyannLarge said:

I was aiming for cats next time I go I'm going to take some smaller carp hooks and some chum. Not that I'll need the chum the way I saw those carp dancing but whatever 

Sorry RyannLarge miss read your post about the treble have you tried circle hooks for cats ? they work great 

For cats circles hook are all I'll use. They have an excellent hookup ratio with very few fish getting off once hooked. Also about 90% of the cats I hook are hooked right in the corner of the mouth so very few swallowed hooks which mean a much higher survival rate too!

For carp I use small octopus hooks if the point isn't sticky sharp I'll file it so it is. Carp Are one of those species that you absolutely have to have sharp hooks for. If they pick up your bait and spit it back out they can hook themselves of its sharp enough.

Try trolling a wally diver! I went for walleye yesterday and caught 2 nice cats to go with 2 walleye. The second was a 10 - 12 lb er hooked mid back! With med action spinning rod, it was a hell of a fight! Took about 15 mins, thought my arm was gonna fall off! I always catch some cats when walleye trolling there. Good luck!

If they're rolling around a lot it could be the spawn, which can often lead to a tougher bite. If that's the case, cast outside of the rolling fish, might have better luck

I'm rigged on a three way with a drop shot and an octopus hook. I'd say a size 8 or 10 but could be wrong. Using corn from my chum which is oats corn and strawberry flavor with some garlic. No secret that mix is all over youtube. I'm casting out and chumming about four feet out of the pads which is where they were splashing about yesterday and the bait I was using was strawberry flavoured. 

Archived