Bassmaster Northern Open on Lake Oneida, NY

w1w

I fished this event on Thurs. and Friday. Did not make the cut for today and did not cash a cheque but truly enjoyed the experience. I entered as a co-angler ($425 US).  Pros paid $1500 US and just imagine their expenses. Gas and oil for the pre-fish alone is costly. I gave each pro $50US at the beginning of the day. It's expected and appreciated. I was paired with a North Carolina pro on day one. Nice guy but he wasn't on a lot of fish. Long, hot day. He managed to weigh in 4 fish (5 fish limit). Surface temp was close to 80 degrees. He lost 2 fish (dead) and was penalized. I didn't weigh a fish. Day two, I drew an Arkansas pro, Justin McClelland. He caught one smallie and a 4lb.13oz. largemouth that was leading as big bass at the time I left to come home. The fish on Oneida are not the size we are blessed with in our area. The lake is 22 miles long. I weighed my 3 fish limit on day two at just over 7 pounds. All my fish were caught dropshotting in 5 to 12' with a 3.5 inch Keitech swim bait, nose hooked...size 2 wide gap Gamakatsu...8lb.Tatsu flouro leader...15" from hook to 3/8 oz. weight...Power Pro braid (30/8?)...7'2" ds Carrot Stik with Stradic reel. Got 4 bites but lost 1 at the side of the boat that would have culled my smallest fish. I went into town after day one and spent a 1/2 hour in the local tackle shop. Bought one bag of Keitech baits and limited out the next day. Hhmmm? I lost the one fish using a Set the Hook bait (Jr. Nailer)...my fault. Hurried it or it was just lightly hooked. My day one pro only caught one fish, the second day, which reinforced my feeling that he wasn't on fish despite his practice days. There was a former Bassmaster Classic Champion fishing this event. Also, a 12 time Classic qualifier who has won 4 Opens. A former Canadian Open Champ competed, too. That's just 3 examples at the pro level. There were 200 pros, paired with 200 co-anglers. Yesterday was rough on the water. I travelled in a Ranger (200hp Yamaha) on day one and a Stratos (250hp Merc) on day two. Any pro that registers for the 3 Northern Opens and wins one, qualifies for the Bassmaster Classic. It's one of the ways to get there. I slept in my truck (high cap) and camped at the park which was a five minute walk to the ramp. Easy pick-up on day one because the pro was staying in the park, too. Day two pro picked me up on shore, close to the ramp because he was staying across the lake. Had to get up at 3:30am to meet him for 5:15 am and blast-off at 5:30 as boat 11 in the first flight. There's NO sleeping in! Day one we were boat 188 and the last flight to come in. I'm sure you can google this event for more info. Of course, some co-anglers would be disappointed because they didn't cash a cheque. That would have been nice. I prefer to think that the experience was my payday! Cross another one off the bucket list.   

Bill lost my phone with your address phone number and contact. And your inbox was full here. No way to get ahold of you..Found phone 5 days later as it was returned. 

Thats awesome Bill. That be a great time in my books...anytime theres something on the line theres an opportunity. Just to be part of that and to have the same chance as anyone else must have been a great experience.

Archived