French River

Ricker

I did my annual trek down the French River this year to do some fishing.  Park at the visitor center on Hwy 69 and hike down the marked trail about 1 km to the Recollet Falls.  There is nice rapids there and a bit of collection whirlpool area off to the side that is teaming with smallies.  Had to fight off the dear flies to get there, just about was eaten alive by the nasty little critters but once I got to my spot and started fishing they pretty much left me alone.  Was able to catch about 25 in just under 4 hours of fishing (sorry no pics - left my cell phone in glove box).  Most were probably around a 1/2 lb or less but I had 4 or 5 that touched 3/4 lb and one that was just under 1 lb.  Kept a few to make a dinner but not my favourite fish to eat.  Did not get any dark eyes so I had to settle for what I had.  Nothing huge but those fish can put up a great fight. Tried all variety of spinners, jerk baits, rubbers, you name it, but a good old worm and single split shot did the best.  Probably caught 90% of them with a worm.  Good to see the healthy numbers in the river.  French River is a fantastic fishery for bass, pike, pickerel, even catfish and carp.  Highly recommend a trip there if you get a chance.  

Archived