Saturday's winds

Tommyboy

Hi guys,I've started fishing Erie this year for the first time since I was a kid. I've heard horror stories about it blowing up quickly and with big rollers so I've been very careful about picking my days. I was planning on going Saturday but noticed winds around 10 kn and blowing up to 13 from the south. I haven't been out with that much wind from the south yet, what should I expect? I've got a 15.5' side console and am going to stay close to shore

thanks

tom

is your boat a tinner or deeo v fiberglass ? a tinner in rough water is harder to control. I have a 20 ft cutter cuddy cabin and I will not take it out in winds from the south or south west when they are over 12mph . to hard to fish and control boat .

I would say that tomorrow would be good but I wouldn't be out first thing, eat lunch (or not if you get seasick LOL) then go to the launch.  A solid wind from the south usually just makes bigger swells, not much of a chop.  East winds make a chop.  N winds are fine when close to shore, the further out you go usually the worse the waves are, even though the deeper you go the chances are the waves will be less.  SW is the worst, the waves have a big lake to build on, and we are the furthest east.  This all depends of course on wind speed.  I would think the PM is good tomorrow.

LT

Google the following words...

Wunderground

Marine weather buoy

Port Colborne

This will take you to a link with wind data, wave heights, etc.  I use this site alot.

I have it bookmarked.  I was in your shoes.  Spend some time studying the data and you will be able to figure things out.

I also use Windfinder and Windytv.

Take Care.

Archived