Canoe action this weekend

Ricker

We were visiting some friends out near Strathroy this weekend and they have a mill pond close by their home so I brought my canoe along so we could explore and drop a line and see what was up.  Very interesting body of water.  No real current and much like a winding river with lots of little fingers jutting off of it.  Sunken logs and dead heads everywhere so beware of snags.  Got a great tip from another fellow that was fishing and he pointed us in the right direction and gave us some hints on what presentations to try and bingo, 3 small largies in the boat in no time. Very kind of this young fellow to help us out.  Got me wondering though and so I wanted to ask this question to those with a lot more experience than me.  On a smaller body of water such as this (could even relate to something like the Welland River as well I would guess) but as water cools down in the fall does the fishing typically slow down in spots like this or does it turn on more?  I know that is a very general question and it depends on the species you are targeting as well, but I was just curious what other's may have experienced?  I believe that typically Lake Erie tends to get better for the smallies in the fall when the water cools down a bit.  Would that trend be similar in a smaller river or pond as well?

• 2 weeks later...

I personally find as it starts to cool down a lot of the vegetation seems to die off making the fish head towards different shelter. Which I think it kind of stacks them up. In fall I usually do kind of fish a little slower but not too slow. If that helps at all. 

In the fall as the water cools bass gorge themselves to fatten up for winter. Fall is my favorite time of year for bass fishing! Try increasing the size of your lures too. They are looking for a large meal!

Archived