speckie fishing

Guest cplummer

Guest cplummer

wondering if anyone here fishes for brook trout? i got this spot on the saugeen river i go camping at where the brookies are loaded .. we catch like 30 a day each (catch n release) all between 12"-- 18" this time of year is a great time to reflect on the past season just as the cold sets in .nothing like visions of speckies flying outta the water on your ultra lite gear with 2-4 lb test line using spinners or fly fishing for the challenge..i'm always looking for people to up there with cause seems not many people into speckies down here in niagara probably because theres only 2 spots around here that has them but they are small.... :Gonefishing:

that's the type of fishing i enjoy most, but as you say there's onlya few spots around here to do so (haven't found them yet myself tho), but did a bit of brookie fishing when i was in Burks Falls a few years back.... very fun to do... and again, like you say, there's almost no one down here who's into it :Gonefishing:

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

I flyfish for them,or I should say used to when I lived in New Brunswick. i'd fish in the spring any cold water stream,or river esp. the mighty Main SouthWest Miramichi River produces very large BT&Seatrout.

Guest Steelheader
wondering if anyone here fishes for brook trout?  i got this spot on the saugeen river i go camping at where the brookies are loaded .. we catch  like 30 a day each (catch n release)  all between 12"-- 18"  this time of year is a great time to reflect on the past season just as the cold sets in .nothing like visions of speckies flying outta the water on your ultra lite gear with 2-4 lb test line using spinners  or fly fishing for the challenge..i'm always looking for people to up there with cause  seems not many people into speckies down here in niagara probably because theres only 2 spots around here that has them but they are small.... :Gonefishing:

1947[/snapback]

Hey cplummer,

I'm totally into brookies. They are so fun to catch with ultralight gear, like you said. Give me a holler next time you go up - I may be able to join you. :Gonefishing:

I flyfish for brookies and also icefish for them at Daniel's Ark. Loads of fun on the fly gear, esp fishing dries! At Daniel's ark, if the brookies are schooling that day, they come in 5-6 fish a school and just rip your minnow apart! It's fun to watch them come in and attack as a group.

Guest cplummer

well john the steelies are at the damn up southhampton way i fish close to durham off the 6 highway for brookies .. there's browns too i usually get a couple a day over 20" .. i have'nt fished queenston in yrs due to the crowds cept outta the boat on occation..

Guest Steelheader

Tommy -

I've seen that water too, and it looks promising. Only problem is most creeks around here dry up to a trickle in summer, which raises the water temp, so I wonder if they would be able to sustain populations of brookies. The water below Decew Falls is awesome looking too, but when I was there this summer all I caught were chubs *gurgle* *squelch*

Guest Steelheader
Like I said.....chubs are cool....especially when they reach a foot long :blink:

Will do Cliff....its more for curiousity than me actually going to fish there.

2087[/snapback]

Urgh...I hate chubs. They make great bait though. I was at a stocked trout lake this summer with the family, nobody was catching anything, so I caught some chub off the dock and pitched him out there. Six trout later, it became evident that trout really like chub too.

Tommy -

I've seen that water too, and it looks promising. Only problem is most creeks around here dry up to a trickle in summer, which raises the water temp, so I wonder if they would be able to sustain populations of brookies. The water below Decew Falls is awesome looking too, but when I was there this summer all I caught were chubs  *gurgle* *squelch*

2084[/snapback]

I fished below parts of decew and thats one hell of a hike to get down to the water. made it out a few times and I saw one medum sized sucker in the portion I was fishing, also wound up catching many sunfish (initially I thought the hits were smallies so thats why I kept going back). I probably will return in the spring, however I reccomend a good antiskeeter product as I got eaten alive and walked through what appeared to be poison ivy, didnt wind up itching though so all good in the end and it was an enjoyable hike.

Archived