Decew Falls

Niagara Nick

Hey Guys

I don't post a lot here this time of year ,, usually my post are of ice conditions on the lower river during the winter months . I've lived in the Niagara area for the past 16 or 17 years and just last week a friend told me about Decew Falls . What a beautifull spot ,, here's a few pics.

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

I was thinking about taking another hike there in the next couple of weeks , just wondering if I should bring a rod with me next time :):dunno:

Guest Dan Andrews

Always bring a camera when you go there. The place will make you look like a professional photographer every time. I've skinny dipped in that pool below the falls only to see a huge snapping turtle roll over into the stream below. I got dressed in a hurry.

Ya never heard of any great catches there. Great place to go for a swim, under the falls that is, not very deep there. And as I believe there's no fishing on the other side of the road either. City water supply. :lol:

Guest bigfishbass

decew is a very nice spot... but dangerous if you dont watch you step when hiking in that area.. when i was a younger lad.. we used to go down there and explore the OLD... rail tunnel....it's pretty cool down there..... but the deeper you go the darker it gets....i would love to check it out again..now that i'm older ..LOL... and not as a scardy cat of those places as i was in grade 6.... this summer alone there have alot of rescues in that area of kids not paying attention to their footing and ending up at the bottom.

Guest cplummer
decew is a very nice spot... but dangerous if you dont watch you step when hiking in that area.. when i was a younger lad.. we used to go down there and explore the OLD... rail tunnel....it's pretty cool down there..... but the deeper you go the darker it gets....i would love to check it out again..now that i'm older ..LOL... and not as a scardy cat of those places as i was in grade 6....  this summer alone there have alot of rescues in that area of kids not paying attention to their footing and ending up at the bottom.

29807[/snapback]

when i was 17 i lost a friend to that place he fell down the falls i have never been back cause i was there when it happened

Oh ya the rail tunnel forgot about that. Don't know if I'd fit though the bars anymore.... it been quite a while for me too.... seeing I weigh just a little more than 90 pounds now.....

Guest Dan Andrews

Facing downstream the tunnel is just downstream on the right side. I believe it is the east side of the gorge near the top. In the evening it's cool to watch the bats fly around. The ziggy's used to enhance the effect when I was younger but it was the Black Sabbath always scared the sh!t out of me. Beware of the broken glass if swimming. Drinking beer directly under the falls can water down your beer.

Cliff so sorry to hear of your friends misfortune. It is trecherous there especially in the wet seasons. You must be about 5 years older than me I remember hearing about that and the 12 mile creek tressel incident. Maybe it's time you made peace with the place. Bring micro twisters.

3-400 meters down the trail along the top there is an area the looks like people go over.. kinda trail like, but not completely. There are 2 or 3 similar ones before this spot. At this spot there are some ropes and the cliff section (not really even a clif here) is only 10-15 feet. Alternatively you can just follow the trail down till it bend sharply and head down over the hill at that point and walk back up stream.

Scott

Hey Guys: The old railway is neet but no fish.Spring is best here. Can get the odd trout. Stocked fish. Lower sections. Check property laws before fishing. A couple of my buds got nailed by Niagara Regional. This was a way back. Great photos. Beautiful area to hike. Thanks for post. Good fishing. Scottydog

Archived