Shimano Curado DC

DaveC

Does anyone use the Shimano DC Curado? Im thinking of getting one for the larger rivers to float fish with. Just wanted an opinon or any others you prefer over this one?

I have a Calcutta TE DC 100. Its a bit older now and has seen a tonne of use. I float with it all winter as my hands get too cold with a pin from Nov-april or so. Also run it all summer for bass and chuck spoons for salmon.  DC system is awesome. I can cast light float rigs effortlessly. I think the curado has a 4 point dc instead of the 8 on the conquest/calcutta dc. I sent the reel in to Shimano this spring they replaced a whole list of bearings and internal components for like 30$ and reel is like new. I have a few other nice baitcast but always go back to this one... i dont think you'd be disappointed. The rod on the other hand might require some research. Tough to find really good options for baitcast floating unless you go custom. 

I found one. Picking it up tommorow. $225. Tyler, i want one for the bigger waters like Niagara, and Saugeen. Dont like bombing the float reel my shoulder gets sore tossing long casts on those rivers. Thinking i can use it for hardware casting as well. Someone was showing me his...i was impressed how its no problem to float fish with as well. Winter use would be great as well. Just something i want to add to arsenal. Thinking of unloading a bunch of fly equipment and materials. Just going to keep a basic single hand 5wt get rid of the rest. 

8 hours ago, steellee said:

If you got it new or even lightly used for $225 you did well. 

yes, the guy had it listed for $300 then dropped it to $250. I offered him $225 and he said no way...lol. So I said ok $240 if you deliver it..haha. So then I bailed. He messaged me back $225 if I come get it.  So yes, great deal. Used but like brand new with box and paperwork. I just have to figure out hot to use it properly. Is there any specifics for using it with biggger floats and weight? I will read the book on it first. Its lined with 10lb invisx right now. Is that line ok? I run 8lb leads most steelhheading or lighter.

I would have been all over that deal too...Line should work. Just keep in mind floro sinks faster than any other line so if your floating long drifts its not ideal... The DC on that reel is abit different but they really are the most user friendly baitcast out there. You'll have it dialed in 10 mins. 

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

yes, the guy had it listed for $300 then dropped it to $250. I offered him $225 and he said no way...lol. So I said ok $240 if you deliver it..haha. So then I bailed. He messaged me back $225 if I come get it.  So yes, great deal. Used but like brand new with box and paperwork. I just have to figure out hot to use it properly. Is there any specifics for using it with biggger floats and weight? I will read the book on it first. Its lined with 10lb invisx right now. Is that line ok? I run 8lb leads most steelhheading or lighter.

It’s easier to cast a bait caster with heavier floats, lures etc.  I’d probably put mono on it since you’ll be float fishing with it.  What rod are you putting it on?

don't forget to stop the spool before your rig hits the water :)

On 10/26/2020 at 7:21 PM, Tyler0420 said:

It’s easier to cast a bait caster with heavier floats, lures etc.  I’d probably put mono on it since you’ll be float fishing with it.  What rod are you putting it on?

don't forget to stop the spool before your rig hits the water :)

I have a 10'6 Browning six rivers Im going to try it on. I will just put some weights on it and take it over to the school yard to try to cast it. Hopefully the rod I want to use wil work. The DC curado controls backlash I think so dont know if thumb is required to stop the reel.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived