After the salmon...

spanky

After the Salmon are done, in come the browns..... being that this will be the 1st year i'll be getting out 'til freeze over (usually pack up my gear end of Oct.) i have a few questions.... about creek fishing (Jordan)....

When are the Browns done? When do the steelhead come in?...... they seem to be in at Port D, but when will they come into the smaller tribs?

This is all new to me.... so please forgive :P

Also, where in the heck is the 8 mile?.... watching fishin' canada today they were talking about 8 mile and by the map they showed it appeared to be in Niagara somewhere, aswell as the 40 mile..... :P

any of the mile named creeks, the number is how many miles from the river the creek is.

8 mile sounds like it exists but 40 mile would be well outside of the st. cathariens area unless it has some good curves to it.

The 40 mile runs through Grimsby apparently, i would imagine it's that little creek tha GrimsbyAl fishes....

The 8 mile i would *think* would be somewhere right aruond Port weller/NOTL area.... in know the 4 and 6 mile are in NOTL.... never heard of anyone fishing the 8 mile, yet it's supposed to be a highly productive steelhead stream :P

Guest Steelheader

Yes, just to clarify, the "mile" refers to how far the creek mouth is from the mouth of the Niagara River. So the mouth of 12 mile creek in Port Dalhouise is 12 miles from the mouth of the Niagara.

I've never heard of 8 mile creek, but if I had to guess I would say that would be Port Weller and the Welland Canal. Port Weller is 8 miles from the mouth of the Niagara. There are no other major bodies of water between Port Dalhouise and the Niagara, so that would have to be what they mean.

Steelies should be in the tribs soon...we need some cold nights and some rain, and that will bring them up. We have had an unseasonably warm and dry fall, and that has messed up the migration of the salmonids a bit this year.

Guest Steelheader
The 8 mile i would *think* would be somewhere right aruond Port weller/NOTL area.... in know the 4 and 6 mile are in NOTL.... never heard of anyone fishing the 8 mile, yet it's supposed to be a highly productive steelhead stream  :P

2264[/snapback]

Yeah, can anyone else confirm this? I might imagine that the steelhead fishing might be okay below Lock 1, but above? Do they migrate through the locks? Even if they do migrate up, there isn't really any trout spawning habitat in the canal...it's all muddy clay bottom and slow flow.

Yeah, can anyone else confirm this? I might imagine that the steelhead fishing might be okay below Lock 1, but above? Do they migrate through the locks? Even if they do migrate up, there isn't really any trout spawning habitat in the canal...it's all muddy clay bottom and slow flow.

2266[/snapback]

THe Salmon migrate up through the locks into GM.... but as you said, it's all muddy/clay bottoms.... for the most part

So, the steelhead will come up the tribs this fall.... when do they head back out? I've always heard about people catching them in the spring in Jordan, but never in the fall :P

Guest bigfishbass

so if you go further up stream like to the point on the left side (rocks).. your a poacher.... what about if you find an access point south of the qew....like the niagara learn to row place.. i know it's private property... but if you use it access and exit under the qew....does anyone know if there is another access to the harbour other than under the qew bridges.... :P

i was actually in the background of that pic of Reg :P

I'm curious about the steelhead 'cause as i said, people say they get them there in the spring, but people also say they get them in the fall.... do they spawn twice, or do they sit up in the creek all winter long? (that's what i've heard)

OK. Season is closed. That's why I said read the regs. Check the exceptions. Bows and brown, speckies etc were closed as of Sept 30 but you can still fish for them in Lake Ontario which extends to the first bridge from the Lake. You can fish year round for them in the Niagara River but not Laketrout (sorry Brian).

This would be why checking the regs before every trip is a good idea. I believe I saw someone :P not sure who but years ago when they were uneducated on the subject :P uh maby keep one from through the ice in the harbour :P

OK. Season is closed. That's why I said read the regs. Check the exceptions. Bows and brown, speckies etc were closed as of Sept 30 but you can still fish for them in Lake Ontario which extends to the first bridge from the Lake. You can fish year round for them in the Niagara River but not Laketrout (sorry Brian).

2276[/snapback]

So just from the north bound QEW....? would think yu'od be okay to fish under the south bound lanes of the QEW 'cause it's still the QEW :P

I'm just really curious on the steelhead runs... i always thoght that the waters in jordan freeze almost all the way to the bottom... just really curious, as if what i've heard is correct it's quite unique- spawning and staying all winter long....

I myself have never seen them in there during winter untill just before the ice rots. My rule is if your catching bows through the ice you'd better be prepared to get wet. Your going to fall through within days.

Guest Gill Finigan

Check the regs, most creeks are only from QEW to the mouth. The mighty Niagara on the other hand is open all year. If you don't want the long walk down to The Glen or Whirlpool, Queenston is a good winter producer. I prefer the solitude of some smaller eddies and pools in the glen myself.

While the creek mouths produce fish. Your basicly fish just passing through to head upstream. While in the river your fishing holding fish. Some move out and new fish move in, but there's always fish in the good spots and always a few ready to bite on something. Up to you to figure out what they will go for on any given day or hour for that matter.

I myself have never seen them in there during winter untill just before the ice rots. My rule is if your catching bows through the ice you'd better be prepared to get wet. Your going to fall through within days.

2279[/snapback]

Thank you.... exactly as i thought.... i've been reading on other boards where people are saying they stay in the creek all winiter long.... i couldn't understand why they'd go up in the winter and stay through ice over and then go out in spring....

Check the regs, most creeks are only from QEW to the mouth. The mighty Niagara on the other hand is open all year. If you don't want the long walk down to The Glen or Whirlpool, Queenston is a good winter producer. I prefer the solitude of some smaller eddies and pools in the glen myself.

While the creek mouths produce fish. Your basicly fish just passing through to head upstream. While in the river your fishing holding fish. Some move out and new fish move in, but there's always fish in the good spots and always a few ready to bite on something. Up to you to figure out what they will go for on any given day or hour for that matter.

2280[/snapback]

As for that.... some of us are too fat and asthmatic to even attempt the whirlpool.... PD is open all year aswell and it's closer.... or should i say the 12 mile from lakeport rd. and lake ontario :P

lol spanky.

basically the river and port dalhousie will produce then right up until the end of the spring and you have guys who fish both spots religiously on a daily basis.

As far as GM goes ... that would be South of the QEW ... however there are plenty of spots that you can hide and fish there. As well for GM remember that most years it will wind up drained during the winter months, and those that they don't drain. It freezes over for the most part. You would need to hike to find a good area ...

Which leads me to question ANYONE EVER ICE FISHED THAT AREA FOR PIKE? We know they exist there and there are some spots that the dropoff is to around 8 or 9 feet .....

IBC

Guest SkeinMachine

The majority of bow's that run the trib's in the fall,spawn in early Feb/March.

They winter over in the deep hole's.

You will get the odd fish in Nov/Dec that is in full spawning mode.

Archived