Pike in the Welland River

Guest bigfishbass

Guest bigfishbass

anyone know if there are pike in the welland river.... it's unfimiliar to me so that is why i am asking... thanks in advanced.....and for give the dumb question... :worthy:

Guest Gill Finigan

Yes, There are pike in the Welland. I've not caught many large pike but there are some. Most in the small to med size. I haven't really tageted them there are usually accidental while fishing for Bass. Was out fishing for Largies today and was bitten off by Pike three times. On Monday the wife caught 2. So they are starting to bite pretty good.

Yes, There are pike in the Welland. I've not caught many large pike but there are some. Most in the small to med size. I haven't really tageted them there are usually accidental while fishing for Bass. Was out fishing for Largies today and was bitten off by Pike three times. On Monday the wife caught 2. So they are starting to bite pretty good.

2389[/snapback]

Out bass fishing when the browns are running? sheesh.... saw atleast 30 of them hooked today in 4hrs of fishing.... everyone got one except us :worthy:

They dip net for pike in the spring up at Merrit Island right where the welland river runs under the canal.... lots and lots of them in there :blink:

Guest Gill Finigan

CAN'T.... STOP.... BASSIN'...HELP...

Got all winter and spring for trout.... only 28 days of Bassin' left :worthy:

gallery_177_23_1099538817.jpg

From earlier today. Gotta love fall Largies

Guest Gill Finigan

Launched from Chippawa. You can run all the way up to the aquaduct at Port Rob. The main channel past the QEW averages 8-10feet. We usually cast senkos around cover and weedclumps. Have had some luck with cranks and spinnerbaits too. Shore cover breaks fast from a few feet to 8.

Guest bigfishbass

nice bass......i must get out too to catch some of these...... it's just that I am not too familiar with the area's around here... i fish buckhorn all summer.....so there i can tell ya where they are....and what to use...i'll figure it out one day. :)

Guest Gill Finigan

Chippawa is a free public launch. There's fish to be found the full lenght of the river. From the Niagara to the aquaduct. Fom the Niagara to the QEW it's usually clear and deeper and current runs backwards to the hydro canal. Beyond the QEW it is shallower and water if off coloured. It has a good population of smallmouth, largemouth, pike, crappie, channel cats and panfish even tales of some walleye being caught. The ramp is a short hop to the Niagara also. Depends on the time of year to what's biting and where to fish. Lots of good visable structure from end to end. If it looks fishy give it a try. Like all new water takes a bit of time to learn the best spots. There's also good shore access at the aquaduct.

Guest Gill Finigan

Yeah Steelheader. There's the aquaduct where the Welland river passes the Canal and another at the old canal. This one is at the canal at Port Robinson

Didn't want to post until I got you proof...well, here it is...Welland Canal, right in Welland...

Welland_Canal_Welland_3lb_PK_Jul_2004.jpg

There are more swimming around in there. Just watch out for the steep concrete breakwall...I fell in while trying to land that pike. It's hard to get out once your shoes get wet...luckily, I had a friend with me who pulled me out. Being able to grab the pike after the fact was a miracle! The blood you see on the fish is not fish blood...it's from my scraped up hand

Thats a nice pike!

sure go and give it a taste for blood

wait till that one gets bigger its gonna be taking down anyone who dares swim in the water or let their dogs go in!

Surprisingly, I saw 3 swimmers that day...they looked like regulars who were practicing for a competition? They knew where to get out of the canal (unlike me LOL). They were doing laps in the canal.

Tying to a tree won't help you...you'll just fall on your butt and have no where to go LOL. You need some spike shoes there LOL. But seriously, if your shoes aren't wet, you can still manage...if your shoes are wet, or the concrete is wet by boat wakes (which is why I fell in), be very careful. I'd say the slop is between 25-30 degrees??? the difficult thing about getting out is that the breakwall is smooth concrete...your shoes will not have grap...and your hands have nothing to grab hold of. You can't see it in the picture, but I was wet up to my crotch. Landing that fish kept the smile on my face LOL.

If you need to get closer to the water but not stepping on the concrete, stay on the grass (you can see it in the picture...at that point, I stuck to the grass for the rest of the afternoon).

BTW, that pike is about 3-4lbs...it's not really that big...I'm just a small (5'2", 100lbs) guy LOL

I should finish :angry2:

Archived