How does the wind affect the Niagara?

Guest Ken

I know that wind affects the Niagara River more than precipitation does. I have tried to figure it out, but just need some confirmation on the topic.

A SW wind is the worst possible wind on the Niagara, in terms of turning the river to mud, right? And a NE wind is the best? The reason is that a SW wind will push more water over the falls (turning the water to Timmy's double double) and a NE wind will hold the water back? What is the minimum speed of a SW wind or a NE wind that will affect the river? How many days does it takes for the river to clear up once the wind changes and remains in favourable wind conditions? How about the in-between winds? Say a NW or a SE? Or a direct N, S, E or W wind? :)

I'm learning to predict water conditions. No need for a recent report...but if you do have one, it's greatly appreciated also as the Niagara could be one of my options for the weekend. :)

Thanks!

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
I know that wind affects the Niagara River more than precipitation does. I have tried to figure it out, but just need some confirmation on the topic.

A SW wind is the worst possible wind on the Niagara, in terms of turning the river to mud, right? And a NE wind is the best? The reason is that a SW wind will push more water over the falls (turning the water to Timmy's double double) and a NE wind will hold the water back? What is the minimum speed of a SW wind or a NE wind that will affect the river? How many days does it takes for the river to clear up once the wind changes and remains in favourable wind conditions?  How about the in-between winds? Say a NW or a SE? Or a direct N, S, E or W wind? :huh:

I'm learning to predict water conditions. No need for a recent report...but if you do have one, it's greatly appreciated also as the Niagara could be one of my options for the weekend.  :lol:

Thanks!

2408[/snapback]

From what I've seen the wind doesn't affect the river. It effects the lake a strong SW,W,NW will build high waves that stirr up the lake bottom and then the current sends this muddy water down the Niagara,thats how the river gets dirty,the wind factor on L.Erie.

The wind factor Look

Here

Archived