Lower Niagara Report US Side

Tim Bromund

I fished the Lower Niagara at Artpark this morning from shore and had the place almost to myself. There was only one other person on the entire stretch of shoreline. We had a good morning, The other guy was bottom bouncing steelhead eggs with a slinky and I took advantage of both the uncrowded conditions and the fact that due to the stained water, the fish were tight to the shore and drifted brown trout sacks under a float.

There was about 2' visibility, perfect conditions in my opinion. Lots of browns jumping and porpoising this morning along shore. Craig ended up with a number of browns and lakers and one nice steelhead on. I struggled a little with the south wind and lots of slack line making for poor hook sets, but I took a beautiful clean hen brown about 4 lbs had a big steelie on for a bit and a nice laker about 14 lbs, lots of other float drops and crushed sacks that I never got a good hook set into. All fish were released.

Not a ton of boat traffic, though I saw several fellow LOTSA members in the boats that were out.

Nice morning and beautiful November weather.

Tim

Nice report Tim...................

I'm hoping to get out and do some drifting along Artpark soon.

Before I owned a boat I shore fished the section of water you referred to a ton of times.

Have a lot of good memories from there.

-Dave

Guest squig69

nice going, we were fishing the canadian side on the backdrift from the boat and didnt hook a thing. through everything at em and nothing. we did hook into 2 small smalies on the long drift though so it wasnt a total skunk

chris

We fished the canadian side. Didn't get any action until about 2:30. Had a nice 10 pound bow right up to the net before it broke off. Landed one small brown and had 2 others on for a couple of seconds. Canadian shore guys landed 3 browns and one rainbow. Water seemed to be clearing up as the day progressed. We only had hits on pink bags with pink floaters.

scotty, no the only spot on the lower I hit from shore is Artpark on the US side.

Tom visibility was about 2' yesterday morning at 6:30 and hadn't changed much by the time I left at 10:30 I had bites on chart, orange and pink brown trout sacks, both with and without corresponding colored floaters, color didn't seem to be at all important for me yesterday.

It was pretty tough for the boaters yesterday, the fish were real tight to shore and they couldn't get in tight enough to get to the main concentration of fish. Most of my bites came on drifts 15-20' off shore. I was float fishing eggs along the drop.

Tim

Yep it is excellent info....gonna get my US licence this week sometime....now if I could only find good spots...LOL

33736[/snapback]

Charlie......

Artpark is a piece of cake to fish.....

I always parked in the lower lot near the Admin Bldg., I think it's on 4th street in Lewiston. (make a left off of center st).

There is a cinder path right off the parking lot, follow it a very short ways and you will see stairs on your right leading down to the river, that's where I used to fish, go down the stairs and fish toward your right all the way to the spillway. (not much room for backcast, but excellent fishing)

The other Artpark spot is when you get to the stairway I mentioned, don't go down the stairs but continue left for a couple hundred yds on the path and drop down at the other spillway, this is where most of the guys fish.

Two other shorefishing spots on the US side are Devils Hole and Whirlpool Park, both have stairs/paths from the top of the gorge to the river but you must be in shape. Artpark on the other hand is an easy walk to the river.

Artpark also has an upper lot that I never used, I was told to avoid it because of it's remote location from the Admin bldg, reports of car breakin's. Never heard of a problem at the lower lot near the admin bldg.

The Power Authority also has a fishing platform that I never used, so don't have any info on it other than many people do with good success and is worth looking into. You park near Niagara University and walk down to the platform, from what I hear you can drive down and unload you gear at the platform, then have to drive back up to park.

-Dave

Archived