Bailey's bridge

ROB MCINTOSH

SNAGGING FISH: This is a real bad isue with me after all I have tried to do with this industry we call fishing. To the ones that snagg or fowell hook and just plain throw the fish up on shore, it looks good that you got caught they should take your car,tackel,your first born your house,and any thing else you own, along with maybe not having a fishing licence for life,and also maybe send you back from where you came from if this is an isue. Now don't get me wrong but this may be a practice used in other country's as a food source but it is not here with all the Macdonalds and other burger joints that are out there,If you are doing it to get the roe you deserve what you get, and this goes for the ones that were born here also SHAME ON YOU . So all of you that practice this they will catch up with you all they need is a discripion of you, licence plate no. and they the MNR WILL CHARGE you even after the fact so watch out there watching, and to you guy's that see this you should be calling the crime stoppers No. and get as much info as possable for them to act on this ,and beleive me they will act maybe not today but towmorrow for sure and you can take that to the bank. PS i'm not pointing fingers but I'm not going to fight for what I beleive for you to use these tactics this is unactceptical Thanks Rob Mcintosh

Guest GrimsbyAl

If I had known that the MNR would press charges after the fact I would have started recording plate numbers long ago. I yelled at 2 kids on the weekend down at Bailys, they were tossinn rather large rocks at fish that were trying to make there way up stream. Their parents were standing right behind me and did nothing to stop their kids. Respect and ethics starts at home.

Guest bigfishbass

I definately agree with the points stated above....there are people out there that really have NO concept of reality. These people would learn a very quick lesson if the mnr would do a huge 'bust' down there. The word would spread very quickly. Maybe a website should be set up with pictures of these people....we could call it the 'poachers club'...the majority of people here have digital camera's ...snap them then send them into the mnr....there is proof enough....a picture of the guy doing it and his licence plate. Public pressure tends to do alot of things. And i welcome the opportunity for the first guy to 'talk' to me about snapping his picture while he's involved in the activity...

Thanks Rob for the post. ;)

bigfishbass,

I have spoken to snaggers on the US side of Lake Ontario to stop snagging fish and have had some close calls to where I was outnumbered and pissed off a group of individuals who seem to know how to handle a club!

It can be dangerous in different situations, its best to report as much information you can gather to the appropriate authorities.

dangerous....in what sence..?

2824[/snapback]

bigfishbass: Now there is a idea take a picture along with a picture of his plate and call MNR when he gets there show the proof and away goes another one it won't take long and all the sh#% will be cleaned up ;) Rob

Anything we can do, we should do. Now I'm not going down to police just because it's my day off but if I were to witness this when I was fishing, I will report it. Thanks Rob for bringing it to our attention, that they don't nessecarilly have to be caught in the act. I always thought it was useless unless the police or a conservation officer could catch them doing it.

Guest cplummer

i started a thread regarding bailey's and the poaching that goes on there ..i was angry for what i saw.A few choice words are given anytime i see illegal fishing activities going on because it makes no sence whatsoever fishing with waders and a net with no rod ! where's the fun it that i ask....

Cliff...

This is a stupid question, but what do you guys mean by "snagging" and "fowlhooking" a fish? By the sounds of it, it seems like your saying people are purposely throwing the hooks at these fish to try to hook them. I hope I'm not right about that because who on earth would actually do that.

This does not only happen at Baileys . But take a walk down to Port D and look in the bushes ,how many dead browns are their? I would also like to remind people that it is also illegal to milk fish of their roe and release them. What really bothers me is watching some clown that calls himself a hard core steelheader milk a brown until they make this gurgling sound and then unceremoniously either kicking them in or throwing them in like a piece of trash.

Am i the only one who sees a problem with the MRN catching upto you after the fact?

i could call and report a person even if they're legalling fishing, how would the MNR know if he was snagging or not?.... just be his word vs mine.... only way that it would benefit anyone is if there was a picture of the guy snagging.... it's just as easy to get a lic. plate number of someone legally fishing as it is for someone who's not....

having said that.... is there not a difference between snagging and foul hooking a fish? Snagging, to me, implies an attempt to hook it illegally with outrageous equipment (large trebles with only a sinker- sight fishing for there backs, etc.)..... foul hooking, to me, would be when a fish runs into your line and you set the hook, thinking it's a strike- accidental hooking- using a single egg hook and roe (proper equipment).... that's just me tho :)

As for Bailey's, usually the snagger travel in groups.... if you think i'm gonna say something to a group of people while i'm there with my wife, you're crazy.... no amount of illegal fishing is worth getting my wife and i into any trouble...

would love to see it "cleaned" up tho.... but as stated these are 6 week "fisherman", come out for the salmon and when they're done they disappear for the year.... i'm willing to bet 80% of the guy snagging don't even have licenses :)

What do these clowns do with all the roe? I saw one guy with 3 large timmies cups filled, and they got the one cup filled by "milking" a brown about a half dozen times saying there are still more, get em all. In the end that brown turned into a meal for them as well so they did not throw it back.

its not only at baileys, i've seen so called steelheaders in the gorge and pebbly milk the snot out of bows and throw them back. i've also witnessed many bows laying on the rocks with their bellies slit open. kind of makes me sick, i guess that's why i don't fish that much for em if at all.

Guest Perch man

I have 27 dig picks of guys milking fish at port D. -Quaenston and bailes and picks of plates that I sent in to the MNR 3 weaks ago and you all are still milking fish

hope thay get YOU soon.

Tight lines

Was down at Baileys last week for the first time this year. When I arrived I saw 4 china men with pitch forks and garbage bags full of fish.. Asked them what they were doing and they said they were fishing? I asked how is that fishing and told them I was calling the ministry and reporting them. They told me to Fu#k off and hopped in theri car and left. Went down to the river after that and could't belive the # of dead fish on the banks. Fished about 20 min. caught 1 male with about 3 hooks in its back, then left.

Perch Man,

Unless you have pics of these guys getting into the cars to prove who was driving what I highly doubt the Ministry will do much because of the investigative work required. At best they will just step up the patrols to the area if they deem it a large enough offence.

It would be like your neighbor calling the police saying PERCH MAN NEARLY RAN MY DOG OVER AS HE WAS SPEEDING DOWN THE STREET. At most the police setup a radar on your street, but with a lack of evidence they can not do anything to you because how do they know if you and your neighbor are at war and this is his next strategic move.

For the most part if your still catching salmon your snagging them now.

And I saw somethign truely amazing today

roe on a trihook .... thats jsut pointless ....

But I have to give you credit ... taking photos takes some serious calhoonas! I know if pics were being taken of myself there would be a confrontation.

Guest bigfishbass

LOL... i guess it comes down to how the pics were taken... "I could be taking a picture of that tree over there" :P ...I guess you have to ask the guy straight out to see the camera....but then we have yet another issue... how about the cell phone camera's... you dont even know when someone is taking a picture of you, they could be on the phone... one reason they banned those phones in hockey arena's, lacrosse games and swimming change rooms....(for the record, LOL people that take pictures in change rooms may one day end up eating their phone) I better stop before i get into trouble :):)

Guest Steelheader

Hey guys,

Chances are when you see a snagger or a group of them, there are more of us legit anglers around than there are of them.

I can understand what Spanky says, not wanting to confront a group of guys when you're out having a nice time with your wife. You could be asking for trouble, and I wouldn't want to put my wife in that position either.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I would reckon that since we are all so sickened by these idiots, so is every other legit fisherman out on the river. Instead of confronting snaggers by yourself, why not look for a few other anglers in the area, tell them what's going on, and ask them to back you up. If someone came up to me and said "Hey, there are some guys snagging up at the next rapid. Would you help me get a few other guys and chase them outta here?" I'd be more than happy to oblige. It doesn't have to be ugly, there doesn't have to be any yelling. You can just simply point out that what they're doing is illegal and that you will be reporting them to the MNR, and that if you ever see them down there again you'll report them immediately. And let the 5 guys standing behind you back you up.

Snaggers and poachers are cowards, and as I've said before most of them don't like to have their sins pointed out. Most of them will bail. And if they know you'll report them if you ever see them again, many will either give up their evil ways or just go elsewhere.

Either way, I think some peer pressure on the creeks could put a stop to this pretty quickly, but only if we back each other up. As I said, there are a lot more of us than them, so lets help each other out.

By the way, if anyone doesn't know who to call when you see someone snagging or doing other illegal activities on the river, you can actually call Crimestoppers at

1-800-222-TIPS

From what I understand, the MNR makes every effort to investigate 100% of all calls. Who knows, you could even get a reward for your tip, although your biggest reward would be to help protect our invaluable fishery resource.

Johnny, i use to be an all round angler before i got into the bass, now i'm just round :lol: i could never catch a salmon at baileys bridge but several years ago i witnessed guys actually hooking fish right in the mouth so they got them to bite, i was always under the assumption once they got further up stream it was a snag rig that caught them but seeing is believing. i remember bumping into a friend of mine some 15 years ago, he had a red devil on and i sort of looked at him like, what the heck, i was trying to get this salmon in a small pool but no luck(think i had marshmallows on), he chucks that spoon in there and about the 3rd cast nails that salmon, you probably think he snagged it, wrong , that fish had the whole red devil in his mouth, i couldn't believe it, he told me he catches all his salmon on that rig and i must agree that must be true because i saw it first hand. still looking for that muskie pic johnny :wacko:

Johnny, i use to be an all round angler before i got into the bass, now i'm just round  :lol:  i could never catch a salmon at baileys bridge but several years ago i witnessed guys actually hooking fish right in the mouth so they got them to bite, i was always under the assumption once they got further up stream it was a snag rig that caught them but seeing is believing. i remember bumping into a friend of mine some 15 years ago, he had a red devil on and i sort of looked at him like, what the heck, i was trying to get this salmon in a small pool but no luck(think i had marshmallows on), he chucks that spoon in there and about the 3rd cast nails that salmon, you probably think he snagged it, wrong , that fish had the whole red devil in his mouth, i couldn't believe it, he told me he catches all his salmon on that rig and i must agree that must be true because i saw it first hand. still looking for that muskie pic johnny  :lol:

2902[/snapback]

Hey Johnny :wacko::lol: you are da man congrats/did you put the boat away :P Catfish

Snagging salmon is legal in many parts of NY

2831[/snapback]

bigfish,

what parts would those be?

salmon snagging has been illegal in NY for at least 10-15 years now, if not longer.

That's not to suggest that it doesn't happen, of course it does. The michigan crickets are gone, now they pretend to be flyfishermen, but it IS illegal. It sounds like we have the same problem on both sides of the fence.

Tim

Archived