Results Of Queenston Docks Meeting

Fishin-nut

First of all I would like to thank the other two charter boat captains and a local angler for coming out to the meeting. It was pretty disappointing to see such a small turn out considering that this post received well over 1400 hits. makes me wounder. I said in one of the posts that this would effect everyone someway but I will explain that later.

The docks will remain in until Dec. 15th. they wanted to remove them ASAP but we asked for an extension. The idea of having a dock fee was thrown out for the reason of not having enough man power. Any Guide, event, or tournament taking place on NPC property must have a permit and be licenced under the NPC. I will be getting a hold of all charter boat captains, local and out of towners to set up a meeting and discuss further with you what we talked about. If you happen to miss this meeting you are S.O.L. We also discussed about having permanent washrooms and possibly lighting in the upper and lower parking area. We also discussed about all the vandalism and breakin of vehicles in the upper parking lot. The NPC was under the impression that the reason the dock is the way it is was because of the ice , but we told them alot of the damages is probably done by the jet boats. I was really pleased on the way this meeting went and how co-operative they were with us . Another meeting will be scheduled in the coming months.

As a side note let it be known that as of next week The Maid Of The Mist will be fenced off . A gate will be put up for patrons to the ride. In laymens terms NO MORE FISHING AT THE MAID! As you can see their goes another spot that we could access. Guys you have to stand up to the plate here because whats next. I also heard rumours that the jet boats are getting tired of people blocking the gate at the sand docks plus all of the garbage . They are also threatening on closing this down. Lets not just wash are hands of this and think that this is only a charter boat issue it effects all of us on our future of being able to fish on the NIAGARA.

Again I like to thank the 3 other guys that showed up and also Mr Dave Gillis for hearing us out.

Guest Steelheader

John, is it primarily Niagara Parks who controls all the shorelines along the Niagara, including Maid of the Mist?

The reason I ask is because I think we anglers need to organize a little better to ensure that more fishing spots aren't taken away from us. I'm just starting to fish the Niagara, and it seems everywhere I look there are fences and signs and restrictions. I haven't even gotten the chance to go to the Maid and fish for smallies yet. This totally sucks.

We need to be organized, and we need to have good relationships with the gatekeepers in Niagara Parks, Ontario Hydro, and other organizations who control waterway access. It should NOT BE that we suddenly, without warning, lose access to a great fishing spot. We should become aware of problems or issues that lead to such decisions so that we can rectify the problems, negotiate, or work out a compromise, like you exemplified today with Niagara Parks.

We are constantly losing access to some of Canada's best fisheries. If we don't get organized and fix problems and apply pressure and show these people that their decisions affect a big group of people, how will things ever change? How much longer till we're relegated to virtual fishing on our PC's?

John, thanks for the effort you and the others put in today. You are right - more of us need to get involved if we are to protect our interests. Would an evening meeting help increase attendance? It would certainly make it easier for me to come, since I work during the day.

Guest Gill Finigan

Thanks for all the effort on this. I'm sure everyone is thankful of the extension and upset at the loss of the maid. I think the line"If you happen to miss this meeting you are S.O.L." wasn't needed, i'm sure more would of been there if they could of. Not everyone can walk away from there job for a meeting. While i would of liked to of been there, but it would mean me closing my buisness for the meeting.

Guest bigfish1965

Well this is disappointing to say the least. I say it's time to go to the next level. It is unreasonable and I'll wager unlawful for the NPC to target guides. Besides, prove that I am/am not a guide. The water is not the property of the Niagara Parks and they really have no say in the matter.Either you charge for the launch or you do not. Period.

What can be their reasoning behind gating off the Maid of the Mist area??

I suppose the Whirlpool and the Glen are next! I think we should take the time to remind them that angling is Ontario's number one recreational actibity and that we spend billions of dollars on this pursuit. Many people are working hard to promote fishing on the area and these decisions do nothing for that end.

A solid thumbs down for this decision.

I would've attended too, however wasn't able to get away from work.

I emailed glowbug my contact info and name if he needed it.

I agree completely with BigFish1965.

It's disapointing as I was jsut starting to fish the Niagara this year as I now have a boat I feel comfortable enough in. I was really looking forward to some late December early January steelheading.

I guess now I'd have to cross the boarder to launch my boat ?

It would be great if we could have a meeting in the evening at some hall or on the weekend.

Cheers,

Gman

Guest bigfish1965

Niagara Parks is a public trust and is covered by the Provincial Parks Act. They are not a private enterprise, but their kahunas are as big as one. I guess it would make a nice winter project....

First of all let me elaborate on the SOL comment. I was refering to some out of town charter boat operators. We are going to have a meeting with them I am going to notify them about this meeting if they cannot attend they will be on there own . I was not pointing the finger to any angler. We can not go and hound everyone! Right now our main concern is to get every local charter boat captain on the same page. So I apoligize for the mix up.

I also forgot to mention that they also told us that a pumphouse facility will be going up at the Old Hollow or as some of you no it as the old boat launch. Don't know to many details about this but it is suppose to be used for irrigation. Their goes another primo walleye spot.

As a side note let it be known that as of next week The Maid Of The Mist will be fenced off . A gate will be put up for patrons to the ride.  In laymens terms NO MORE FISHING AT THE MAID! As you can see their goes another spot that we could access. Guys you have to stand up to the plate here because whats next. I also heard rumours that the jet boats are getting tired of people blocking the gate at the sand docks plus all of the garbage .

I sense a pattern here. Fishermen turn there favourite spots into a dump and don't respect the area's signs, laws or danger warnings and litter, poach and drown and a fence goes up.

Guys you have to stand up to the plate here because whats next.

You all better do a good job on Saturday (sorry I'm working) down on Rooker Rd and maby head around and get the other side (eg. under the pedestrian bridge) or you'll see access gone there. I think if you really want to step up to the plate you will say something when some useless impisill tosses his garbage over his shoulder or just bite the bullet and pick it up for him. Don't park in front of the gate. If there is no parking left then consider yourself "SOL" but don't park in front of the damm gate. Make sure you get in on these clean ups when you can and don't go without a bag for your garbage or just don't bring anything that will need disposing of at all. Drink the coffee in the car before you get out!

To tell you the truth, I can't believe you guys didn't see this coming. It's a common occurence as the phrase states, "If you abuse it, your going to lose it" It frustrates me because I do clean up but the fences are keeping me out also.

Guest FIN "S" FISHER

lets all work together if the big river is mud on saturday count me in at port. or next time I am there I will take the 20 mins before casting and do my own voluntary little clean up .

Archived