Report from PRO BASS SHOPS in Vaughn Mills

Guest Steelheader

Guest Steelheader

I was in Toronto for a couple of days this week and had the opportunity to check out the new Bass Pro.

I just have to say that anyone interested in fishing or hunting or anything to do with the outdoors needs to get up there and enjoy this shopping experience. My boss was there too, and while she doesn't fish or hunt she spent 45 mins there with us, google-eyed at what she saw.

My favorite feature was the 24,000 gallon freshwater aquarium filled with rainbows, pike, muskie, crappie, carp, catfish, bass...There was a 13lb largemouth in there - that's one impressive fish!

The reel counter alone was probably over 100 feet long with hundreds of reels on rod stubs for you to try. Rod selection was amazing. For fly-fishermen there was a whole department in a log cabin setting, wood floors, soft lighting, looked very high class.

I spent about an hour there and I didn't even see half the store.

Prices? I checked out a couple of items and noticed prices notably lower than

Canadian Tire, which has typically had the lower prices on fishing tackle:

Mepps #3 Aglia

Canadian Tire - $3.99

Bass Pro - $3.39

Trilene XT 300yd 6lb test

Canadian Tire - $7.99

Bass Pro - $7.39

I don't know what the rest of the prices are like, but my impression was that on commodity items they are lower than what we normally see.

Staff were very helpful. I didn't have any trouble finding anyone to answer questions. Their attitude was that if we don't have it, we'll get it for you. Even though it was busy, it didn't feel busy - very relaxed atmosphere. That's intentional I'm sure - their marketing department knows that the longer you keep someone in a store the higher their average $ per sale will be.

I didn't buy anything, but it didn't matter - it was still worth going.

Guest FIN "S" FISHER
I was in Toronto for a couple of days this week and had the opportunity to check out the new Bass Pro.

I just have to say that anyone interested in fishing or hunting or anything to do with the outdoors needs to get up there and enjoy this shopping experience. My boss was there too, and while she doesn't fish or hunt she spent 45 mins there with us, google-eyed at what she saw.

My favorite feature was the 24,000 gallon freshwater aquarium filled with rainbows, pike, muskie, crappie, carp, catfish, bass...There was a 13lb largemouth in there - that's one impressive fish!

The reel counter alone was probably over 100 feet long with hundreds of reels on rod stubs for you to try. Rod selection was amazing. For fly-fishermen there was a whole department in a log cabin setting, wood floors, soft lighting, looked very high class.

Mepps #3 Aglia

Canadian Tire - $3.99

Bass Pro - $3.39

Canadian Tire - $7.99

Bass Pro - $7.39

I don't know what the rest of the prices are like, but my impression was that on commodity items they are lower than what we normally see.

Staff were very helpful. I didn't have any trouble finding anyone to answer questions. Their attitude was that if we don't have it, we'll get it for you. Even though it was busy, it didn't feel busy - very relaxed atmosphere. That's intentional I'm sure - their marketing department knows that the longer you keep someone in a store the higher their average $ per sale will be.

2931[/snapback]

Guest FIN "S" FISHER

Mepps #3 Aglia

Canadian Tire - $3.99

Bass Pro - $3.39

Canadian Tire - $7.99

Bass Pro - $7.39

2931[/snapback]

That is awsome wish I could go there just to see the Aquarium and of course the deals too.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Geez guys I was there Tuesday mornin. I found the price outrageous on there electronics. Considering BPS's are a hugh chain store. You know the old saying-"The more you order the more you save" I just don't see them passing savings on. Good eye candy store,but I'd still rather support my Local Tackel Shop

Guest Steelheader

Interesting Brian.

I'd be curious to price compare commodity items from each department to see if they really do have lower prices, or if it's just on a few things that are price sensitive (such as spinners and fishing line).

You have to be really careful with retailers, even ones like Wal Mart that claim they have the lowest prices around. What they do is pick a few thousand everyday items that people watch the prices on, and make those lower than everyone else. Then they jack up the price on the other 200,000 items they carry so that you're paying the same or higher than you would at a competitor. The result? You think you're paying less on everything, but you're only paying less on a few things. Because 2% of their products are priced lower, your perception is that everything they carry is priced lower - but it's all an illusion. That's why Wal-Mart can't claim that it has the lowest prices anymore. They used to, but they were sued by businesses who proved that they didn't.

Anyway, I digress. I'll always support my local tackle shop. I won't be driving an hour and a half every time I need something...with the price of gas it sure ain't worth saving a few pennies! Besides, as Brian pointed out, you may not be saving anything anyway - you gotta know your prices and be careful, or you could get screwed.

Archived