Burt Dam (Olcott, NY) 12-4-05

Tim Bromund

Well, after bailing on fishing Burt yesterday due to strong winds (where I was anyways, sustained 30's gusting to 40) I went out this morning.

Had a decent day, water was murky but clearing, I was flyfishing and did at least as well as the pinners today. I ended up 6/9 with a mix of browns and steelies. First fish of the morning was a nice fat hen full of eggs, so I had to sacrefice her to the cause (now I'm stocked in brownie eggs for the forseeable future)

All other fish were quickly released so the only one I got pics of was the one I kept, here's a couple of shots

082723.JPG

082724.JPG

egg sucking leech was the best fly today (black with pink egg) you can see the nose of it in the first pic.

Beautiful day to be out. Quite a few fish caught today.

Tim

Hey Tim: Missed you at the swill. Great report guy. Nice to see some fish caught. Also rare to see a post from a fly fisherman. Beautiful brown. Do you have much problem with ice up on the rod fly fishing this time of the year. Thanks. Good fishing. Scottydog

:huh:

Hye, i got those waders :huh:

seriously tho, what do you mean when you say "did atleast aswell as the pinners"?

beauty fish, big big belly (shut up Reg) looks like he was hungry... what was in her belly? PM if you don't wanna share all that info lol

BowHunta, that's 2 pics of the same fish. Burt Dam is on 18Mile Creek in Newfane/Burt/Olcott, NY. North of Lockport.

Scotty, yeah, I do whatever happens to be the most effective for the conditions and I've always caught more at Burt with the Fly Rod. I had a spinning reel and the float tackle in my vest as well just in case. I did have to break the ice out of the guides a couple of times today, but it wasn't bad. I haven't been able to talk myself into spending the money on a pin setup yet.

Spanky, I mean I frequently get my a$$ handed to me on the water by the centerpinners (especially the Canadians), but I did as well as the pinners that were fishing there today...... What was in her belly. lots and lots of eggs, wahoo!!!!

Jeep, I'm really not worried about it, Burt isn't a secret to anyone and the winter NEVER attracts a lot of people there. Once gun deer season opens over here, the crowds completely dissapear at Burt. There was a little crowd right at the Dam, but there wasn't 20 other guys on the rest of the fishable water there today. Been like that for many years this time of year, aint' gonna change because I posted a report about someplace that everybody already knows about.

Tim

Guest BrownBomber

There's two sides to every argument and I see where both sides are coming from. It would be a shame if people got greedy and flocked to a certain spot and overfished it. Now, I'm not saying you guys would do that but I bet there are others out there who are greedy and would do that. I've seen people down at Port Dalhousie keeping every fish they catch regardless of size. Not only is keeping fish from Port gross, but I'm sure it has some kind of effect on the fish population.

On the other hand there are tons of fishing spots and if someone wants to post where they went they have every right to do so. I for one am new to the sport so I am always looking for new spots to try.

And for a newbie if I'm over stepping my bounds, just tell me to shut up. :huh:

Guest Tripper

I've been reading this forum off and on for a while now and was finally compelled to register so I could respond to Tim's post. First off, that's a darned impressive brown Tim, and I should know 'cause I snapped the pic for you, LOL! Was nice meeting you yesterday Tim, and once again thanks! (I was one of the dreaded Canadian pinners who Tim was fishing near yesterday.) Just to let you know though, we came back around 1:30, fished 'till dark and did quite well. Was a great day of December steelheading. Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike, nice to meet you as well. Thanks also for both your assistance and the bag, without it all of those eggs (pure gold) would have been wasted and gone before I got her up the hill. Glad to hear you had a good afternoon as well.

Tim

Archived