SHORE GUY'S VS BOAT GUY'S

ROB MCINTOSH

WHY CAN'T WE ALL GET ALONG: I heard something on the weekend and wasn't to happy to hear it, You guy's on shore don't own the water and nor do the boats so why do the guy's on shore think it's cool to ring a chunk of lead off the side of the boats, I know you have to get your bait out to the break so whats wrong with waiting till the boat driff's by then make your cast it's not like you only have so many cast's a day and you have to get in as many as you can to catch fish,if you see this happening and it's an out of towner let him now in a nice way that in port we let the boats have a turn at catching fish to without having to dodge lead sinkers every time they come up to take a drift, it will not take long for them to go by so a little ethics wouldn't hurt anyone , maybe one day one of those boatheads may ask you to go out with them and then he remembers you were the guy fireing lead at him and guess what your back on shore again, Well i'm one of those boatheads and own a fiberglass boat, and don't think I wouldn't hesatate to come to shore and confront the one who tossed the lead at me, beleive me a spider crack is not cheep to fix nevermined pulling a chunk of lead out of the side of your head , because they won't see it comming and are not expecting to have to dodge lead while there fishing ,kind of puts a damper on the day. I hate saying this all the time but a little fellow sportsman ship go's along way :worthy: Thanks Rob Mcintosh PS I will not hesatate banning someone from fishermans pier due to unsportsmanship (I CAN & WILL)

Guest bigfishbass

completely agree....one day there will be a situation there...like someone ending up in the water.... and then we will have bigger and better things to worry about....like finding a new place to fish... who ever is doing this... GROW UP ! it's fishing....have a little common sence, because if it were done to you...i'm sure you wouldn't like it all.

well i have no real problem if the boat is doing a regular drift but when he uses his motor to sit in one spot in the drift well then it creats a problem...im sure you have seen this but if you have not it does happn no worse than fishn at queenston it happns there to all you can do is yell at him to drift if that doesnt get his attn then people will throw lead at him .....so whats a shore guy to do with a boat who sits in the drift not moving???

Guest Steelheader

Atta boy Rob! There's no excuse for it. Granted, some boaters can be inconsiderate, but I have yet to see any in the 5 or 6 times I've been down there this fall. All the ones I've seen drift down the middle of the river, and guys are still chucking lead at them.

From what I understand Port is a navigable harbor and boats have a right to be there. So if fisherman on the pier want to duke it out with the boats, the boats are going to win every time. If we don't speak up and tell these idiots to behave, then guess what - the pier will be fenced off to us non-boaters, and the boats will STILL be drifting up and down the river.

Next time I see a guy do this, I'll be confronting him. And if any of you are there I hope you'd back me up.

Guest Steelheader
well i have no real problem if the boat is doing a regular drift  but when he uses his motor to sit in one spot  in the drift  well then it creats a problem...im sure you have seen this  but if you have not  it does happn  no worse than fishn at queenston  it happns there to all you can do is yell at him to drift  if that doesnt get his attn  then people will throw lead at him .....so whats a shore guy to do with a boat who sits in the drift not moving???

3115[/snapback]

I agree this would bug me, but as a boat doesn't he legally have the right of way?

Besides, I would say this is still the exception. Guys are chucking lead at every boat that comes within casting distance, and that's ridiculous.

I have seen it too often where a boat will pull up along the shoreline near the fence for the hydro property and drop anchor, this screws over anyone fishing from the rocks in that section ....

However the ones in the middle of the harbour do nothing whatsoever wrong ...

To the same extent I am willing to wager that the "problem" anglers do not read this board or any other board since they are too busy molding two ounce pencil leads and tying their streamer flies.

I guess I've missed some of the 'fun' on my visits to the Port. Thankfully!

What I've seen in most cases is the shore guys waiting for the boat guys to drift by, then start casting again.

No bid deal. Just a little courtesy as we all enjoy the same resource.

Too bad a little common-sense is hard to come by for some people...

I've been fishing at port for 16 years and in all those years have caught a ton of fish. I have never needed to cast 3/4 away across the harbour to put a fish on the end of my line.About 5 or 6 years ago some started casting 3/4 of the way across and everyone started to follow suit.We used to catch a lot of fish on the inside current break and guess what their still on that break line. But it is impossible to fish now because of the wall guys. Sure that inside current break was a little snaggier but there was and still is a ton of fish on it.Now everyone thinks they have to cast all the way to the west side. Back in the day the shore guys were catching lots of fish and guess what so did the boat guys, without fearing for their lives. Now everybody down there is using super braids because they cast so far they can not feel anything with mono. I use the braids for musky and bass but I personaly feel they have no place in trout fishing period.When your casting and bouncing bottom you are going to get snagged and break off your line.The problem is that the braids do not break down over time like mono does. This is a very bad thing, you can usually pull mono out but the braids will snap you off everytime.If the port boys would go back to fishing the inside current break then the boats would not be fearing for their lives just to fun and isn't that what fishing is all about.Also I wasn't aware that the St.Catharines Game and Fish owned that strip of wall I thought that area was hydro property. I was under the impression that they only leased the property where the club house is.How is it that the city garabage trucks empty the cans down there if you own it.I also was not aware that the St.Cath. Game & Fish had the power to ban anyone from fishing or is it you Rob that has that power.

Guest watch dog

PS I will not hesatate banning someone from fishermans pier due to unsportsmanship (I CAN & WILL)

Who do you think you are Your just a fishermen just like the rest of us. Your one of the guys that get all pissy when others catch fish and you don't . Was that the case with these guys also

Tom

Maybe he does have the power, I know I won't be the one to test it. Good message board guys, don't get a chance to fish like I wish, but nice to read about havin fun. I probaly will go down to PD this week just to see what all the fuss is about, but I usually stick to queenston or the gorge.

Guest Longshank

Man, there is a way too much testosterone on this thread/board sometimes and it's this topic......an annual one I may add that normaally gets everybody bent out of shape.

So, I fish Port d. as well, both from shore and by boat and I have to agree with the side that says...boats have the right of way. shore anglers have no say whatsoever about who, what or where a boat is moving thru the channel.

Of course courtesy is a big factor, but it is most true that in the last few years, more guys from the wll are pitchin farther out and think it's real cool to bounce lead off the side of a boat.....

Very occasionally, this happens at Queenston as well, bit is normally resolved quickly.

These comments about physical force, threats etc. kinda tick me off!!!!

It's fishing, for cripes sake, not WAR!

So ease up everybody, please........these actions are not a good way to get the younger folk inot the sport and left unchecked will one day result in a very serious accident.....

Thanks for listening :lol:

meh... i was down there a week ago watching some guys chuck lead at the boaters, seemed like it was more fun for them doing that than it was fishing.... "hey, i missed the boat by like 3ft".... "watch, i'm gonna hit this fucker on his next drift".... meh, fishing is fun and relaxing for me, i'm sure as hell not gonna be apart of that childish crap..

I still cant grasp the concept of the 200 yard cast.

Still there should be mutal respect ...

like someone said earlier there are the boaters who motor in the current to sit in one spot in the drift.

Not too much to worry about now though, the morons will start heading back to their holes since salmon season is on its last leg if it isnt already dead.

Last winter did not seem to have too many morons down there ...

atleast when I was there ...

trout guys are a little different than those who are out just for the 4 weeks that is salmon season

Guest bigfish1965

Okay...once again this topic has been beaten to death. Port Dalhousie is a navigable harbour and like it or not the boats have the right of way. Don't chuck lead at the boats and boaters...don't anchor in the main drift..it dangerous and discourteous.

This thread is again closed.

Cabin fever is starting early!

Archived