DOCKS AT QUEENSTONE

ROB MCINTOSH

I should not stick my 2$ in here but here goes : I have been standing on my soap box in port for about 10 years now and got alot of things done in port so maybe i may help.You know how i always promote doing things in numbers, well I know the turn out was poor for this meeting timming was bad, was it the parks idea for the time,if it was perfect for them knowing every one works and numbers would be low , so whoever set this up should try and get another meeting set up and if you aproch them right he may do it on his time and you will have lots of attendance , one thing however you have to get 1 or 2 spokesman to handle the questions and let them know that it will not get out of hand, as far as the maid of the mist did anyone aproach them and ask if they had a problem with the fishermen, if not you have a liggit ? about why then.Again we go back to the garbage isue,if you showed them that you can get a crew together and do a major cleanup it would be a start. Maybe ask for a garbage pail and each one of you that fish's there bring the bag up with you and put another one in and also show a little leadership it wont take long for them to see this,also maybe make 1or2 guy's responsable contacts so when there is a problem they know who to contact for action to be taken on any isues. REMEMBER fishing is your right and no one can take that away BUT you and only you can prevent from giving them the tools to take it away DON'T LET HIS HAPPEN ,maybe a group should be put togeather to tackle items like this all around niagara, 1 lawyer 1 good speaker 2or3 fishermen, local alderman, mpp and maybe local store owners that get $$$$ from the fishing in niagara JIM BRADLY is our tourrist mpp now maybe a bit of contact with him may help after all fishing brings billons of $$$$$$ to niagara and if city employees restrict areas because they don't want to deal with this is a big issue THEY WORK FOR US REMEMBER. Ok someone take my soap box away . Rob Mcintosh

With the amount of people that are out fishing everyday from 7:00am too 4:00 pm there should have been lots of people at the meeting.But I guess everyone had the same atitude oh somebody else will go ,I' m going fishing.Well I went fishing too but I stopped at 9:00 and went to the meeting.There was probably 50 people down port that morning and lots that I recognized that fish the river from shore and boats, still only 4 people could make it.It only goes to show who really cares. There were over 1400 veiws on this thread and only 4 cared enough too show up! We were told at the meeting that the M O T MIST was privately own.We also dicussed the garbage can issue and the NPC told us that they are sick and tired of replacing them. The cans are always being destroyed or throwin in the river. They have chained them down only to have the chains cut and the cans destroyed or missing.They know it's not the fisherman doing it but it gets costly to replace them.They have to chain down picnic tables because idiots wiil throw them in the river also.Yes fishing is a right but you must remember we are not fishing public property.Everytime you are fishing the river from shore you are on NPC property whether you are at Queenston,the pool,or the glen you are in a provincal park that you did not pay too get into.They do not have a problem with anybody fishing, they are only concerned with getting there 15 percent from the guides which is wrong. The conditions that they want to impose on the guides are just stupid.But unless you are a guide then they don't concern you.Even though 1 guide was bending over backwards( or forwards depending on your prefernce) too please them.

Well said Glowbug. Rob their was enough notice that went out for people having any Interest in this meeting to show up. Even though some people didn't show up to the meeting they have e-mailed me showing their concerns and Ideas. I am trying to get back to these people to talk more about the Ideas that they have given me. As for spear heading anything I took it apon myself to arrange a meeting with the NPC. I think now we have a good base and will be getting a hold of all the guides that fish this body of water. As for getting Jim Bradley aboard I have already gotten in contact with him and started to draft a letter to him but we have to wait so that we can arrange another meeting with the NPC and the other guides. As for the Maid of the Mist issue. The attraction is owned and operated by a private firm and this land was leased to them their is also the issue that part of that property is owned by the hydro. It really has nothing to do with the NPC. It was their decision to close this off. This Issue will also be brought up at the next meeting. Basically the NPC are using the guides as a cash grab. I will notify everyone on this board again when our next meeting will take place . The only thing that I don't want to see Is a yelling session because that will bring us nowhere. If you would like to climb aboard ( Rob M) give me an email we need all of the support that we can get.

very impressive glowbug ...

I cna tell your right now if the meeting turns to a yelling match you might as well kiss the docks goodbye or see some major changes not in our favor ...

I jsut had a class meeting, some fellow students raised their voices in the meeting, we lost all bargaining power concerning what we had issues on and now we have lost an opprotunity for the class as a whole to raise the average ...

Archived