SHORE GUY,S VS BOAT GUY,S

ROB MCINTOSH

BIGFISH: Sorry for reopening this subject but there was a few comments I would like to respond to . GLOBUG:You are right the GAME & FISH DO NOT OWN FISHERMANS PIER but not patting myself on the back but if I didn't stand up when the sailboat club decided on their own to start parking there boats on the wall we would not have that area at all, so I challanged the city on the name of the wall and they said FISHERMANS PIER so from that day on G&F offered to OVERSEE what go's on there and make sure things are all hungkidori, also this had to do with the walkway comming thru G&F kind of a swap that I made with the city. The G&F have a lease for the area from the hill to the boat club and from the water to the creek on the other side of lighthouse road,and as far as I know anyone who holds the lease has the last say so when it comes to rooker rd. we are the one's overseeing this area and will oversee it till we nolonger hold the lease, and that includes baning someone from this area as long as a report is issued it's no differant than baning someone from your store for what ever reason or us banning someone from the boat ramp (has been done)so if you ? our power in this area don't because the city will back us and my repour with the city is good since I have been dealing with them, also I think if I had to close the gates for whatever reason I think I would have the backing of the regular anglers that know what I'm trying to do for YOU the anglers of port, we have lost to much area do to the few that like to stick there nose in and then run away and leave the fight for us, gee just like the one or two that like to stir things up on a public service like this sight so if you want to push pushaway I think I will be still standing to make sure this resource will be here for our future anglers. And on that note watch for our meet & greet at the G&F IN DEC. and we can touch on this again or come out to a meeting (4th mon of the month) this month it is on the 29th also just ask I'm sure someone will point me out. thanks Rob Mcintosh :lol:

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Bigfish

Why are you closing these threads. Theres not cussing going on,no, i'm going to get you!!! ect ect.

This is why I left your board!!! The locking of topics

Guest bigfish1965

Brian..

First, there was only ever one locked topic on my board and it involved a member whose deteriorating health had left him doing odd things and some people decided to be nasty about it.

Second, Rick and I had talked about this situation at Port Dalhousie and agreed that once all sane reasoning had been discussed it was better to lock it BEFORE the cussing started. The Dalhousie issue has been beaten to death on several threads and the truth of the matter is those who are going to chuck lead at boats are not going to change because any of us asked them to. So before it got into a 'I'll kick anyones azz who hits my boat' kinda thing, it was closed. The contributors all made their points and there was some indication it was going south.

The entire reason this software was put into place was to keep things civil and informative. We specifically were sensitive to the abuse you yourself put up with last year on the old forum software,Brian.

Any NEW ideas on Dalhousie are welcomed into a new thread like this one.

Rick always has the ability to unlock threads. Since there are only two of us we try and nip things in the bud.

Once Rick is more comfortable with the software, I am sure he will be training some moderators and at that time we can let threads go longer. There are times when neither of us can get in for a day or so and to have something get ugly when we cannot be around to rectify it would not be good.

Brian. I'm not sure if I agree with locking threads but I'll tell you that the "beating to death" of this issue is why I almost stopped posting. The insanity down there and in here over some issues make it an unpleasant experience to come here. I for one would like to see this discussion end and have some action taken at Port to deal with these people who just seem unhappy unless they're being an idiot.

Perhaps Rick should just try killing a thread the way he did with the one about tossing fireline at jetskis.

This thread is now in danger of becoming incredibly

images.jpg

STUPID

I myself stayed out of this topic because I've only fished PD once in my life and that was years ago, didn't see any of this stuff going on then but I guess times have changed.

The only thing I can say that is consrtuctive on the issue is that if the guys causing trouble from shore don't think they can lose what they have, they should look no further than Port Credit. I used to ride my bike down there as a kid to fish off the pier, now its posted, NO FISHING FROM MAY TILL SEPT. I'm told this was due to complaints from boaters.

If its a Port it is there for boaters and everyone else should be curtious, or risk losing the right to fish there.

Peace, Steve

Gee Rob I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. As I stated at the beginning of my post that I've fishing port for 16 years and this is the first I've heard of any of this.I was in no way ? your power in this area because I was not aware that the G&F had any power over the wall area.My comments were statements not threats and I do not see where I was doing any pushing. I'm sure that this overseeing comes to the surprise of other port anglers as well.

BIGFISH: I would not let my comments get out of hand on this subject maybe I should have explained the position of the G&F from the start, I was down at port today and got nothing but pat's on the back for standing up and trying to put abit of lodgic and ethics into this topic alot of guy's once they found out who I was came right up to me and thanked me for my post's on your sight,so aslong as it's not getting out of hand alot of guy's are following this topic and staying ontop of it so they atleast know what their talking about . I look at it aslong as it's getting hit's and it is not out of hand information is good for all and maybe the ones doing this and every one knows about it maybe the point will get across.GLOBUG: It takes alot more than this thread to ruffel my feathers on this subject,I think that may be the problem thier is not enough info getting out on this and if more fisherman got more involved then lack of info would not be a problem,and I'm not looking for new members but it wouldn't hurt to stay ontop of whats going on in YOUR fishing areas if you read one of my other post's you would understand where I'm comming from (numbers move mountins)and yes we could use new blood and if it sounded like I was pushing for new members what's wrong with that I don't plan on leaving and if the G&F is to move to the next generation of anglers so be it,also with having sights like this for info it saves sending it out on paper.Beleive me it would give me nothing better than to have 100 or so more members to get alot of things acomplished that we have been trying to do over the years 15.00 what a better investment could you ask for . PS closing rooker rd would be the last thing on my mind. thanks Rob

Guest Steelheader

Hey Rob,

You mention lack of information being a problem. We're also talking about a genuine lack of etiquette at Port.

At golf courses they often post etiquette rules at the clubhouse. Things like wait until the party ahead of you is far away before you hit the ball, let faster teams play through ahead of you, replace your divots and ball marks, etc.

What do you think of posting some etiquette rules at Rooker's Road? Make everyone aware that interfering with boats is a federal offence, take your garbage with you, don't leave fishing line around, show respect to fellow anglers, etc. I really think that would help. What it does is demonstrate that the pier isn't just some hole, but that it is a premier angling location that is leased and managed by a group of anglers, that there are standards of behavior that are expected, and that access to the location is threatened by misuse.

A few signs won't solve the problem completely, but I wager it will help it improve dramatically. It gives anglers a point of reference.

OR...you could just put up a big blinking neon sign that says "BE NICE OR CATFISH WILL COME KICK YO A$$!"

I'm actually in favor of the latter, but I'm sure it breaks some sort of city code.

Guest bigfish1965
Hey Rob,

You mention lack of information being a problem. We're also talking about a genuine lack of etiquette at Port.

At golf courses they often post etiquette rules at the clubhouse. Things like wait until the party ahead of you is far away before you hit the ball, let faster teams play through ahead of you, replace your divots and ball marks, etc.

What do you think of posting some etiquette rules at Rooker's Road? Make everyone aware that interfering with boats is a federal offence, take your garbage with you, don't leave fishing line around, show respect to fellow anglers, etc. I really think that would help. What it does is demonstrate that the pier isn't just some hole, but that it is a premier angling location that is leased and managed by a group of anglers, that there are standards of behavior that are expected, and that access to the location is threatened by misuse.

A few signs won't solve the problem completely, but I wager it will help it improve dramatically. It gives anglers a point of reference.

OR...you could just put up a big blinking neon sign that says "BE NICE OR CATFISH WILL COME KICK YO A$$!"

I'm actually in favor of the latter, but I'm sure it breaks some sort of city code.

3274[/snapback]

Good suggestion!

Perhaps also include the idea that boaters have right-of-way.

Im iffy on signs, the problem people seem not to read them ...

worked parks and rec a few summers

the parks I was in all had

PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG ... max. fine .....

or

DOGS ON LEASHES

or

NO GOLFING

and people broke those rules left right and center, you point out a sign and they tell you go f**k yourself. then there were those who just missed the sign and appologized and cleaned up/leashed the dog or stopped golfing ...

GREAT IDEA: When I had talks with parks & rec about the G&F overseeing Rooker rd, signs were to go up letting anglers know we would be overseeing this area but as you know the old (not in this years budget) came up, After the 29th If i'm the pres still I will look into us paying for these to go up along with more talks on this isue, I would like to see the road graded towards the bank with a water run off pipe to get rid of the rain water, also I am getting a 400w light to put up on the post to shine on the corrner now to hopefully diture the partyer's from parking their and makeing noise, the nrp was called the other night from the house up top for 3 or 4 cars parked and making noise, I found out his wife is very sick and it was keeping her up (NOT GOOD) so maybe the light will help, If you guy's are down thier at night and see this just call NRP tell them what is happening and explain we don't want to lose this area and I'm sure they will send a car, and if they say it's privite prop, gust say your with the G&F and your concerned for the lady up top's health I'm sure they will respond if not get word to me and I will raise the isue with NRP myself. PS if any one is good at sign painting please see me or let one of the guy's know and they will get intouch with me and this will get done sooner, I will have parks & recs blessing. Thanks ROB :lol:

Guest Steelheader

Rob - I have a friend in graphic design who would probably enjoy the work, and for a very reasonable fee. If any of you are into car graphics his name is Sean Reimer, Reimer Graphics. He did the graphics on the souped up red mazda you often see at Future Shop at Fairview Mall. He did the big mural of the falls at the tourism information building in Niagara Falls, right off the 420 and Stanley.

Anyway, I digress. If there's someone here who can make signs for less or for nothing, then great.

Dan - You're right, not everyone will obey signs. Signs at the golf course and signs at the parks don't magically eliminate dickheads. They're still there. But what a sign does is establish a standard of behavior towards which we should all aim. If you don't have signs, then nobody knows what the rules are, and then it's just left up to people to decide for themselves.

The "boaters-have-right-of-way" rule, for instance...that should definately be posted, because I don't think most people realize this. It might not stop some of the morons, but it would certainly hi-light their actions as being even more obnoxious, and maybe the peer pressure would slowly extinguish that practice.

Signs are a start to establishing a culture of respect and proper boundaries, not a cure-all.

Archived