Queenston Drift this morning

Guest Steelheader

Guest Steelheader

I figured I'd give the Queenston backdrift a shot this morning, so I went down at 6:30am. I have no roe left =( so I was bouncing corkies. Hooked into a real screamer, he had me scrambling down the rocks trying to catch up with him. I was using 6lb mono and had to haul back hard since I was losing too much ground...he straightened my hook, I never saw him :( But boy that was a rush!

I saw a couple other fish landed, including a 10lb laker. Someone said one of the bows he caught yesterday was puking out smelt he was so full. Might be a good idea to try minnows.

Thanks for the report Steelheader. I'm getting eagar to try the river. Just waiting for my boat to return from the doctor. Any guesses on what your screamer was? Big Brown? Late Salmon?

Guest Steelheader

My first inclination would be to think steelhead. It had a lot more punch and jiggle than browns and lakers typically have, and salmon this late tend to fight like big logs. I know steelies usually jump, but not always. But one thing's for sure...it's been years since I've hooked into a steelhead (just started fishing again this fall), and boy did this get the heart racing again, just like the old days :( *wistful sigh*

My first inclination would be to think steelhead. It had a lot more punch and jiggle than browns and lakers typically have, and salmon this late tend to fight like big logs. I know steelies usually jump, but not always.  But one thing's for sure...it's been years since I've hooked into a steelhead (just started fishing again this fall), and boy did this get the heart racing again, just like the old days  :(  *wistful sigh*

3188[/snapback]

What was the Condition of the water?

Guest Steelheader
What was the Condition of the water?

3191[/snapback]

Vis was decent, about 1.5 to 2'. The warm front hasn't brought a lot of winds, so you can expect it to stay clear for the rest of the week.

And yes, SteveK, that rush is awesome...it's the healthiest way to get a buzz that I know of! Well, that and sex, but I'm always in the mood for fishing, and my wife isn't always...well, you know. :(

I"m thinking of heading down to queenston on Saturday, but I have to ask two questions, one that's stupid and one normal one....When you say you were "bouncing corkies", what the heck does that mean? I'm fairly new to the fishing world so I've nevered heard of that before. Now the normal question, any luck with lures (such as Mepps spinners or Blue Fox) for steelheads or browns down at Queenston at this time of year? It's much easier to fish with those, but just wondering if the bite is much worse with the lures.

thanks guys

bouncing corkies would be just that bottom bouncing a corkie!

As for the lures, I have in the past seen guys using them and having luck. Just with a lure you need to have a constant retrieve and its much more expensive than a bottom bouncing setup.

Guest Steelheader
I"m thinking of heading down to queenston on Saturday, but I have to ask two questions, one that's stupid and one normal one....When you say you were "bouncing corkies", what the heck does that mean?  I'm fairly new to the fishing world so I've nevered heard of that before.  Now the normal question, any luck with lures (such as Mepps spinners or Blue Fox) for steelheads or browns down at Queenston at this time of year?  It's much easier to fish with those, but just wondering if the bite is much worse with the lures.

thanks guys

3206[/snapback]

Hey PH,

Fair questions! I didn't know what corkies were until a few weeks ago either until Fishn-nut showed me one morning on the river :( Besides, I don't know jack about pickerel, except that they aint steelhead! :D

Those pictures above are exactly it. They can be quite small...the ones I use are about the size of the eraser on the back of a pencil. They float, so they suspend off the bottom, hopefully right in the strike zone of the fish you're going after.

What you do is put the corkie on your line before you tie on your hook. Then I put a tiny bead on the line to keep the corkie from sliding over the shank of the hook. Then tie on your hook. Your hook is completely exposed.

When I say "bouncing" I mean using a pencil sinker heavy enough to get to the bottom of the drift quickly, and then "bouncing" it along the bottom and feeling for a strike. This is still a new technique for me and I'm still learning. It can be a bit challenging to detect soft strikes, and I wonder how many I've missed because of all that weight. But that will come with experience.

I love spinners. They are my go-to bait. Haven't tried them in Queenston yet though. Water is fairly deep, so you'll want to weight them down fairly heavily. It might get expensive :)

Good luck!

Guest Gill Finigan

Colour 402 is a hot colour in the lower Niagara. I'll use them with roe and have caught plenty of steelhead with spin and glows (corkies with wings) and roe

Thanks for the info Steelheader, I might give that a shot when I go down there this Saturday and I run out of roe. And thanks for the pics spanky, I realized after looking at those that I've actually got about 20 "corkies" in the tackle box, never even knew what they were called :) . Anyone else planning on going down there this saturday??? and is the afternoon bite good too, or morning a better option?

Guest Steelheader

Gill, I'm so used to fishing small streams and rivers, and big presentations like that would always be too big. 5 trout eggs used to be a big roe bag. :) Do you find steelies will readily take much larger presentations in the Niagara, even in clear water?

Guest Gill Finigan

Yeah, you can go bigger on the Niagara. When it's really clear small works good too. Some guys use a pretty big skien chunk and have good results. I like a corkie or spin and glow with a small roe bag. Experiment till you find the key for the day.

Guest Steelheader

Actually Gill, that brings up a good question for everyone.

How long will you use one bait/color/style before changing? It always baffled me how guys discovered that their one very specific size/style/color lure was nailing them all day long. Add to those variables water conditions, weather, line diameter & type, leader length, sinker weight, and wondering whether there's even fish where you're drifting...With the millions of possible combinations, how do they figure these things out? How long will you use something before changing?

Guest Steelheader

Actually Gill, that brings up a good question for everyone.

How long will you use one bait/color/style before changing? It always baffled me how guys discovered that their one very specific size/style/color lure was nailing them all day long. Add to those variables water conditions, weather, line diameter & type, leader length, sinker weight, and wondering whether there's even fish where you're drifting...With the millions of possible combinations, how do they figure these things out? How long will you use something before changing?

my general rule of thumb is (regaurding lures) no hits within a few casts change em up ...

but i also cant sit still ...

all depends where I am, I try to use colors that mimick the color scheme of the fish in the water, where i picked up my muskie ... waters are heavy with dark colroed suckers so I like using the dark colored spinnerbait ... in the end though it seems every color scheme has had a follow

Guest Steelheader

But that would seem too quick for me. Consider that 10 fish in a day is a good day. That's maybe 1 fish every half hour. So changing your bait after 20 mins would be premature?

heh it is.

all depends, if i see im using a color that doesnt produce and i am seeing other colors produce

gonna switch it up

now if im using a color that is producing for others i may keep it on

all depends where and who are fishing around me

Guest Gill Finigan

Depends on type of fish, for bass i switch alot using multible baits and rods till i find a pattern (ask Spanky he knows the load i carry for bassin'). I'll stick it out longer with trout then most other fish. I narrow my choices by water clarity and water temp. Clear water smaller natural colours and stained water larger and brighter colours. Colder means slower. I love using spinners for Steelies but my retrieve now and in Jan is totally different. I'll work one type of bait that i have confidence in and switch colours now and then. If a colour didn't work the first time i will try it again later. I've said it before so i'll say it again. Confidence in your presentation is key. If you think it's going to work you up your odds. You'll pay more attention to detail working a confidence bait over something that never produce much before. Even new baits or presentations can be confidence baits if you believe it will work.

Two rods help. I always have my noodle rod for float or bottom bouncing and a 8 1/2' for spinners and spoons. I'll switch back and forth till i start hitting fish.

Guest Steelheader

Interesting Gill, thanks.

I was at Queenston again this morning for a few hours. I used about 6 different colors of corkies but no luck. Guy next to me was using roe and landed 3 or 4. Gotta get me some roe!

Archived