New forum section

Guest bigfish1965

Would you use a new section as described below?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a new section as described below?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Guest bigfish1965

Not saying it is going to happen, but I wanted feedback for Rick on creating a Members Only section for some of the more colourful discussions.

Since guests (read potential advertisers!) would not have access, it may be easier for Rick to let more stuff go on.

It would be either password or group protected.

Creating a special forum for private members only will create status on the board and lead to a "boys club" that will eventually make people feel their opinions/information are not as valued.

Public boards are just that....for all the public to read and enjoy. I think the board would miss the "heated" debates and newbies would never really learn what's taboo and unethical if all the status members where discussing it in a locked forum.

Plus, why is your buddies opinion held in higher regards then that of a new poster?

Just my 2 cents.

well you have a good point markus about new people or even guests readn post..its always nice to see new views on things

as for a members only i think this would hurt this site..people would think thier is things being said behind thier back ect.....

I think I misread your obective. You're not suggesting a special forum for a select group, but I hidden forum for registered users only. So guests and lurkers that are not registered won't be able to participate or view it.

Not a bad idea, but the crap will still be accesible for all to view if they want to. So why bother....unless you want to use it as a tool to increase the registered users.

I'm all for it, I just wouldn't go in there. You have to register to post anyway so you'd be able to view it. Perhaps it would be better to move a thread there if it becomes heated. Call it the BS bin or something. I know with a name like that, there'd be a few threads started there let alone moved there. Might be the answer to locking a thread Rick.

Guest SkeinMachine
as for a members only i think this would hurt this site..people would think their is things being said behind their back ect.....

3199[/snapback]

Only one's with a guilty conscience saeek.gif

Go for it,Rick & Rick. :(

Call it NO HOLDS BARRED.

It would be a good idea since you need to register to get to that form. But what about just a simple subtitle stating that its a free for all with no mods or something as well?

IBC

Guest Steelheader

I always welcome a forum for discussing such issues. I already do it actively on a musicians board. It gets pretty heated, but for the most part it is self-governing and civil. Not for the faint of heart though.

BIGFISH: Not a bad idea BUT you know there is alot of viewer's out their that just love to get a subject heated up and I think it could still get ouy of hand with the language and personal attacts and I don't think you would want to get into that,so maybe just leave agood thing alone :) Rob

Guest bigfishbass

pro's and cons to both i guess..... there should be rules around personal attacks on other members...but anything else goes.... know what I mean. People sometimes need a good place to vent...and this could be one of them. Moderate it to a point (personal attacks) and let the rest slide as it is a "private forum"....unlike in the public ones where anyone can read things. That's my .02 LOL

We should all be trying to help one another learn proper ettiquiete and educate new anglers to help insure we can all enjoy the resources we have as uniformed angling community. Creating a forum were people can slam one another only promotes the wrong message that public fishing boards should be trying achieve.

Guest bigfish1965

If it were to happen the rules would remain the same...no attacks, no racial slurs etc. But sometimes we get rid of topics because of the nature of the way it is going. You have to remember that 1,500-3,000 people come here each day and certain topics certainly do not leave fishing in Niagara with a very good image. As this is a publicly viewed forum (and Rick's business) there is a level of BS which cannot be crossed.

We all know that these board get ugly in the winter when guys are cooped up and getting antsy.

I do appreciate everyone's input.

Archived