PortD November 16 afternoon!

Flywire

After getting off school for the day my dad thought it would be fun to go out for a couple of hours and after getting that laker he thought it was his turn to get a trout...he was wrong :D

ChollyTrout.jpg

I was bringing in to make another cast and this beautiful brown smashed my streamer while I was down on the rocks by the end i had climbed up on the pier to get it in. It's also the first trout i've ever caught :(

Guest steelies

Nice Caught flywire,

What colour streamers were you using. I don't use streamers until the weather is below 0.

I've had great luck with blue and white in the winter and purple and white in the spring.

They hit your line much harder with streamers than on eggs. Sometimes you don' even need to set the hook, they hit so hard. I prefer streamers over eggs just for the hitts.

tight lines,

Steelies

Guest Steelheader
Nice Caught flywire,

What colour streamers were you using.  I don't use streamers until the weather is below 0. 

I've had great luck with blue and white in the winter and purple and white in the spring.

They hit your line much harder with streamers than on eggs.  Sometimes you don' even need to set the hook, they hit so hard.  I prefer streamers over eggs just for the hitts.

tight lines,

Steelies

3230[/snapback]

I'm guessing that's because fish hitting streamers are actively feeding on baitfish, whereas many fish hitting eggs are suspending and just "mouthing" things that come into their personal space. I love those hard hits too. That's why I like using spinners in creeks for steelhead...you often see the strike just before you feel the rod rip out of your hands. It's a bonus rush. :)

I'm guessing that's because fish hitting streamers are actively feeding on baitfish, whereas many fish hitting eggs are suspending and just "mouthing" things that come into their personal space. I love those hard hits too. That's why I like using spinners in creeks for steelhead...you often see the strike just before you feel the rod rip out of your hands. It's a bonus rush. :)

3234[/snapback]

Okay, now you'er gonna have to share these spots of yours with me....:)

seriously tho, do you stream fish around here? I've never gotten a steelhead but i've seen what they do in the streams and it's definately appealing :)

Guest Steelheader
Okay, now you'er gonna have to share these spots of yours with me....:)

seriously tho, do you stream fish around here? I've never gotten a steelhead but i've seen what they do in the streams and it's definately appealing :)

3238[/snapback]

I'm new to the Niagara region, but I used to fish for steelies all the time in Bowmanville, Oshawa, and Wilmott creeks. We don't seem to have anything similar St. Catharines area, other than Jordan, but I'm not even so sure about that since it dries up in summer. In those other creeks you could catch rainbows year round, and sometimes if you were lucky a real lunker steelhead holding in a pool over summer.

And if you've never gotten a steelhead...WELL. We'll just have to do something about that. Arguably the most fantastic freshwater fish there is. Especially when you're fishing in small water and you don't see the hit, you feel a little tap, set the hook, and suddenly this silver torpedo EXPLODES out of the water once...twice...three times...it's AWESOME! You'll never forget it. *phew, I need a smoke*

Archived