SIGN'S IN PORT

ROB MCINTOSH

OK who make's the rules, and what should the sign's say: and be nice about it ,should the sign say RULE'S , fishing ethics in port, abide & keep this area your's OK NOW YOU GUY'S TAKE IT FROM HERE Rob

I can't believe we even have to consider this. It's an embarrasment. That's why I'll never fish there. Good story about the newbee Rob. Hope to hear more of the same soon. Sounds like maby some of the guys are getting the message. Hopefully it's all been the bad stuff getting reported and these guys are better than that. It's a great fishing hole and a sign like that doesn't say "welcome". It says "there is a problem with commen sense here". I wish there was more shoreline with the angling opportunity that exists there.

Guest Steelheader

I think the signs should say something to this effect:

NOTICE TO ANGLERS

This property is leased and operated by the St. Catharines Game & Fish Association. It is open to the public for purposes of fishing, with the following conditions:

1. Port Dalhouise is a navigable harbor, and as such boats are protected by Federal law and have right of way. Interfering with a boat is a federal offence. Be courteous!

2. Please do not leave any garbage behind.

Fishing on this property is a privilege, and your cooperation will ensure that anglers will continue to have access to this waterfront for generations to come.

Thank you for your cooperation.

...something like that. :dunno: I suppose you could add stuff about fishing etiquette like "don't kick the fish" etc., but that would make a pretty big sign. In addition, the boats and the garbage are the two biggest issues...if you took care of those we'd be in much better shape.

well if you are going to post something like that ..i think its good ...you should also post something by the boat launch about the boats being courteous to the shore guys also.... make them aware of such things like not running up the east side cutting guys lines off and sitting in one place while in the drift...and its better to report a trouble maker thats on shore to the launch IE :someone thrown lead specfically at a boat rember accdents do happn

I fish from both shore and my boat. casting to the middle does not always hold the best fish. Try along the edges. While on shore I yeild to the boats..its always been that way. When in the boat I try to avoid shore anglers lines..but some can be hard to see..There is room for both there ..the sign mentioned would be a good reminder.

Guest Steelheader
Perhaps a reminder that if releasing fish to do so in a swift and respectful manner (ie no drop kicking).

3402[/snapback]

Okay, you could add point #3:

3. St. Catharines Game & Fish stocks this water for your benefit. Please utilize proper catch & release techniques and treat fish with due care and respect.

So the whole thing might look like this (with a few other adjustments):

NOTICE TO ANGLERS

This property is leased and operated by the St. Catharines Game & Fish Association. It is open to the public for purposes of fishing, with the following conditions:

1. Port Dalhouise is a navigable harbor, and as such boats are protected by Federal law and have right of way. Interfering with a boat is a federal offence. Be courteous!

2. St. Catharines Game & Fish stocks this water for your benefit. Please utilize proper catch & release techniques and treat fish with due care and respect.

3. Please do not leave any garbage behind. Scraps of fishing line in particular are a hazard to both people and wildlife. Take it with you!

Fishing on this property is a privilege, and your cooperation will ensure that anglers will continue to enjoy access to this waterfront for generations to come.

Thank you for your cooperation

Guest Steelheader

Red on white or black on yellow are a bit abrasive. Yellow on brown or black would be fine, or perhaps a charming taupe on forest green. :Gonefishing: Maybe we should call Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and get them to do a show. Good PR, plus free signs. :dunno:

Seriously, neutral colors would be best. Reds and yellows are "shouting" colors, and I don't think we're trying to shout at anyone.

Guest Steelheader
True enough, but red shows as a warning....a warning that this type of behavior is not going to be tolerated. Plus it needs to be visible too.

I'm leaning on "red on white".

3448[/snapback]

Yeah, I hear you. It's really up to Game & Fish what kind of tone they want. I figured a firm but reasonable tone was suitable and doesn't come across like we're in a police state. That's why I suggested more netural colors, like what you see in a provincial park.

I think it would help to see some examples first. I don't have photoshop either. :Gonefishing:

:) WOW 400 hits on this topic, I hope thats 400 fisherpeople, anyway great job guy's see that's all it takes each one taking a bit and run with it. Bigfish what can I say but where have you been for the last 5 years I have been asking members ???? and I got more out of you guy's in the last 4 day's than in 10 years or doing it with the 2 or 3 that I can rely on to get things done. This sign I think will make a big differance I talked to parks and req on fri and they said this is great atleast someone is doing somthing than us just going down there and locking up the gate, so I said when we have an idea of the sign I will let them know, not for aproval but for support, Bigfish if you give Dagmar (gamefish@niagara.com)an e-mail I'm sure she will e-mail back our logo,Then you will see our colours(green,yellow,black) with red for (attention anglers) in large red caps , 2 sign's should do it. ps e-mail dagmar what the sign should say so she knows whats going on THANKS GUY'S Rob

Wow, we're so efficient...we should run the country.

3510[/snapback]

Only if it can be ran as a dictatorship and I can be put incharge of international sports competition, hockey, foxey boxing!

Olympic gold here we come!

The olypic tv host (H): Mr. IBC what do you attribute to the success of your swim team?

IBC(I): It is the training methods used, put a muskie in that pool and it'll chase toenails till it gets a foot!

(H): And the gymnastics?

(I): They trained on thin ice, you fall off and your going through the ice into the water.

(H): And boxing?

(I): They trained against black bears!

Heh

Im out, must stop procrastinating!

Guest bigfish1965
:) WOW 400 hits on this topic, I hope thats 400 fisherpeople, anyway great job guy's see that's all it takes each one taking a bit and run with it. Bigfish what can I say but where have you been for the last 5 years I have been asking members ???? and I got more out of you guy's in the last 4 day's than in 10 years or doing it with the 2 or 3 that I can rely on to get things done. This sign I think will make a big differance I talked to parks and req on fri and they said this is great atleast someone is doing somthing than us just going down there and locking up the gate, so I said when we have an idea of the sign I will let them know, not for aproval but for support, Bigfish if you give Dagmar (gamefish@niagara.com)an e-mail I'm sure she will e-mail back our logo,Then you will see our colours(green,yellow,black) with red for (attention anglers) in large red caps , 2 sign's should do it.  ps  e-mail dagmar what the sign should say so she knows whats going on    THANKS GUY'S      Rob

3508[/snapback]

Rob..I will email Dagmar and once I finish the sign I will email it or post a llink to it. Getting it from the computer onto some plywood is the tricky part for me!

Bigfish: Don't worry about getting it on plywood leave that to me, when it is ready get it to me and I will take it from there , plexi glass on the face is the way to go and we will do that, size wise maybe 2'x3' will be big enough what do you think . A thankyou on the bottom would be a good touch . thanks Rob

Archived