Port D dam question

Guest Ken

A friend of mine was fishing Port D this morning and reported to me that the dam was closed and there was hardly any current. He said that people were float drifting instead of bottom bouncing. It is my first season at Port D and of all the times I've been there, the dam was opened. I'm just curious under which conditions would the dam be closed? Will the dam closes more frequently in the winter season? Here I am thinking that all I need for Port D was slinkies and I've kept the floats at home...I guess I should have them with me from now on.

BTW, for the two hours that my friend was there, he only saw one brown caught in 2 hours (opps...typo...meant to say 2 hours).

If you don't mind sharing also, what would work better when the current is absent? Drifting roe and streamers? Or should I fish more aggressively with crankbaits and spoons?

i imagine the only reason they would close off the flow of water would be if there was something wrong with the turbines and they had to perform some repairs (winterizing?)

Ken: I also was there this morning till around 1:00, the powerstation was down due to cleanout . Let me shead some light on this facility it is not controlled by manpower it is run by demaned ,( not your daman) for power and run by computer's it also depend's on demand of how much terbulants come out, sometimes both terbines are going and you could surf in front of it thats why the bouy is their to keep the boats away from the wall if not I don't think you would be wanting to sit there in a boat with 4' terbulants around you, it happened before and the boat couldn't get untied fast enough and lost his boat and dam near their lives so it's not somthing to play with. As far as what to use when this happens you should always have spoons and flies with you , I saw 5 fish caught on spoons when I was there (petes cream/orange dots) so if you always have you will allways catch (maybe) I hope this helped if not just ask the guy's what to use when this happens ( not to many times) and I'm sure they will help out. Rob :Gonefishing:

Thanks for the replies! It's good to know that it's not a common occurance. I love bottom bouncing there. When the fish is not biting, at least it gives you something to pay attention to (ie, not snag bottom LOL).

Well just to add to the subject, I have a question about the Dam too. Why the cleanout? Is there nothing stopping stuff like logs and debris from going through there. I imagine there is some pretty substantial debris coming down. Is there something that prevents it from reaching or damaging the turbines?

I have witness times in the past when the dam was wide open as rob described and yes became big time high whitewater. Made the breakwall area totally un fishable. Funny because two of the times it happened were on back to back saturday afternoons in late Spetember.

I have also witness another time once when i was fishing the 4 falls (when it was legal) that there was absolute minimal water coming down the falls & it totally killed the fishing that day.

Chilli: Yes they have grates on the top side but it gets clogged up and they have to slow it down so they can get the crap off the grates or you would have no water flow, this is done 2 or 3 times a year very important now before freeze up,it should be good now till spring. Rob

Archived